Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 23:24:07 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  Installation problem
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Installation problem  (Read 12816 times)
Mailman
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2007, 16:30:28 PM »

Hi there,

I am having the similar installation problem stated on http://liste.pardus.org.tr/pardus-users/2007-April/000035.html
Appearantly there's a solution for this problem also described in the above link.

But as I am a total noob, I don't know what to do.

Can anybody help me with a step by step description of the solution?

Thanks,

MM
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 20:06:08 PM »

Hi Mailman, if the problem lies with your video card then this is how you should be able to get the installation going. (Basically I am just showing you what Onur Küçük wrote in his answer to the mailing list but perhaps a bit more targeted at beginners)

At the first installation screen, choose your language with the arrow keys on your keyboard. Then don't press Enter, just press the letter "e". You will get to the next screen which lets you edit the boot options for the installation.

Press "e" again and add the parameter "xorg=safe" (without the quotes) to the end of the line like this (click image to enlarge):

Now press Enter, then press "b" to start the installation.
Hope this gets you going, good luck!
Alex
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 22:09:15 PM by roverrat » Logged
Mailman
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 13:58:38 PM »

Hi Roverrat,

Thanks for your detailed explanation.
I tried this, but it won't help.

I get the same black screen I was getting before.
I understand that my videocard causes the problem, but I guess
there should be a workaround for this?

Btw: Onur also advices to do the following:

nano  /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and then restart YALI with

service yali restart

When do I have to do this? And can I do this without having Pardus installed on my computer yet?

Thanks,

MM
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 14:34:43 PM »

Hi there, Mailman. Sorry to hear it didn't work out. What video card do you have exactly?

What Onur means is that you change the driver for the video card from the console and then start the installation (yali) again. If you want to try, this is how to go about it:

When you get to the screen where you're asked to accept the GPL (you do get there, don't you?) press Ctrl-Alt-F2 (simultaneously). This will put you on a text console.
Now type

Code:
nano  /etc/X11/xorg.conf
like Onur suggested to open the configuration file for the X-server (which handles all the display options in Linux) in an editor.

Find the section "Device" in this file and change the driver from whatever it is to "vesa". This is a generic grahpics driver that should work with all cards. The line should read

Driver "vesa"

Then save your changes and close the file xorg.conf by hitting Ctrl-O and then Ctrl-X.

Restart the installer by typing

Code:
service yali restart

I'm not sure if this will bring you back into the installer automatically. If not, press Alt-F7 to get back there.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 14:41:54 PM by roverrat » Logged
Mailman
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 10:54:40 AM »

Roverrat,

Thanks again for your explanation.
That did the trick indeed.

Btw, my videocard is ATI Mobility Radeon X700

I do have some problems though after the installation

My wireless connection worked without a problem in the beginning.
After updating some programs, the wireless connection now fails.
Pardus recognizes my router and my wireless adapter, but won't connect.
I tried wep/wpa/

My bluetooth mouse doesn't work
I  can't see my Windows partition
Everything looks so big, letters,desktop etc, how can I get this smaller?
Btw, I already changed the monitor resolution in the Konsole

I really appreciate your help
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 20:05:11 PM »

Pardus has a precompiled ATI driver package appropriately called
ati-drivers. My first bet would be to install this to get the proper
resolution (and 3D functionality).

If that doesn't work you can also get the latest  proprietary linux
driver directly from ATI and install that one. You can then use the
ATI-config programm to set the resolution and other options. The release
notes
(https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_8.36.5.html)
say it supports your video card.

In either case it's a good idea to back up the X-org configuration file
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.

The proprietary driver can be found here:
ATI Proprietary Linux Installer
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux/linux-radeon.html

And here's the installation manual for it:
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_8.36.5-inst.html
You probably need to install the package kernel-source if you go this route.

After downloading the ATI driver installer open a console window and navigate to the directory where you saved the file. Then issue the command

Code:
sh ./ati-driver-installer-8.36.5.run

to launch the installer. Just opt for the automatic driver installation. After installation it's easiest to reboot the system.

After logging back in again you can verify that all went well by typing (as a normal user, not as root)

Code:
fglrxinfo

In its output it should list ATI Technologies Inc as the vendor as well as your specific card
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 21:44:38 PM by roverrat » Logged
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 21:14:47 PM »

As for bluetooth: check if you have the packages bluez-utils and
bluez-libs installed. To make sure that bluetooth startes up
automatically go to TASMA -> System -> Service Manager to start
bluez-utils as a service on boot.

To browse your windows network: Go to Applications --> Utilities and
start the SMB/CIFS Share Browser (Smb4k).  Unter "Network" it will show you your windows workgroup /domain and shares.

What error messages (if any) do you get when trying to to access the wireless network?
msullivan
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 22:45:05 PM »

Mailman,

Do you use a broadcom wireless card with the bcm43xx module?  If so,  check this thread: http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php/topic,721.0.html  It may help you sort out the wireless problems.

Marty
Mailman
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 23:17:19 PM »

Hi Roverrat,

First of all I'd like to state that I really appreciate your efforts and your patience.

I installed the ATI-drivers but didn't notice a change?

Then I downloaded at http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux/linux-radeon.html
I saved it at /home/TheMaster/ati-driver-installer-8.36.5-x86.x86_64

Now, if I navigate to /home/TheMaster I get:
bash: /home/TheMaster: is a directory

Am I doing this right, or am I being really silly here?

BTW, I can't find anything under (Smb4k), so I guess my Windows is gone?

I also started the Bluetooth in the Sevice Manager, the thing is my mouse is visible to the built in bluetooth adapter, but when I move my mouse, it won't do anything

The error message I receive with the wireless connection is "Could not get address"

I tried both with wep, wpa and unsecure

Mailman
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 23:25:21 PM »

Mailman,

Do you use a broadcom wireless card with the bcm43xx module?  If so,  check this thread: http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php/topic,721.0.html  It may help you sort out the wireless problems.

Marty

Marty,

I do indeed use a broadcom wireless card bcm4318 Airforce One and my problem is exactly like described in the first post of that thread

If I understand correctly, the solution is like described in http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php/topic,721.msg3309.html#msg3309  ?

So I can try to create another user and try to connect the wireless, run the updates and log back in as the original user?
msullivan
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 01:31:17 AM »

Mailman,

I'm not certain that will work.  It may work,  but I never tried it that way,  so I can't garantee that it will.  You can try it that way and post back if it solves the problem.  What I do to get my broadcom chipset to work is open a terminal,  type "su" to get root privaleges (you have to supply the root password).  Then I use modprobe to uninstall the module and reinstall the module.  Type "modprobe -r bcm43xx" then hit enter.  Then type "modprobe -i bcm43xx" and hit enter again.  Now,  your module for the wireless card is ready.  Make sure the wireless hardware is on by typing "ifconfig eth1 up" (you may have to replace "eth1" with "wlan0" depending on how your system is set up.  I know this seems more complex than the way the user in the thread you quoted did it,  but I know this works for me because I do it.  Also,  because the commands you enter frequently in a Terminal can be scrolled by using the up arrow key,  its just a matter of scrolling to the right command and hitting enter,  rather than retyping.  I'm the only user of my laptop,  so creating another user seems silly to me.  You'll have to do this right after each startup to get connected,  but it takes only a second.  Once you run these commands,  you can get connected as usual by clicking the network icon in the system tray.  Good luck!  If you need more info,  just post again.  I'll try to help if I can.

Marty
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 17:56:09 PM »

Mailman,

before you go and install the driver from  ATI: did you check Tasma --> Peripherals --> Display --> Size and Orientation? What is the highest resolution that it gives you? (Even the standard VESA graphics driver should be able to give you 1024x768  - not exactly great, but workable...)

What exactly do you mean by "my mouse is visible to the built in bluetooth adapter"? Does it show up in the bluetooth configuration window? Do you have the little bluetooth symbol in your system tray?

Could you give us a few more details about you hardware and your network?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 17:58:02 PM by roverrat » Logged
Mailman
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 21:48:02 PM »

Mailman,

I'm not certain that will work.  It may work,  but I never tried it that way,  so I can't garantee that it will.  You can try it that way and post back if it solves the problem.  What I do to get my broadcom chipset to work is open a terminal,  type "su" to get root privaleges (you have to supply the root password).  Then I use modprobe to uninstall the module and reinstall the module.  Type "modprobe -r bcm43xx" then hit enter.  Then type "modprobe -i bcm43xx" and hit enter again.  Now,  your module for the wireless card is ready.  Make sure the wireless hardware is on by typing "ifconfig eth1 up" (you may have to replace "eth1" with "wlan0" depending on how your system is set up.  I know this seems more complex than the way the user in the thread you quoted did it,  but I know this works for me because I do it.  Also,  because the commands you enter frequently in a Terminal can be scrolled by using the up arrow key,  its just a matter of scrolling to the right command and hitting enter,  rather than retyping.  I'm the only user of my laptop,  so creating another user seems silly to me.  You'll have to do this right after each startup to get connected,  but it takes only a second.  Once you run these commands,  you can get connected as usual by clicking the network icon in the system tray.  Good luck!  If you need more info,  just post again.  I'll try to help if I can.

Marty

Marty,

Thanks for your advice.

I tried what you suggested, but no success:

TheMaster@pardus ~ $ su
Wachtwoord:
pardus TheMaster # modprobe -r bcm4318
FATAL: Module bcm4318 not found.
pardus TheMaster # modprobe -r bcm43xx
pardus TheMaster # modprobe -i bcm43xx
pardus TheMaster # ifconfig eth1 up
pardus TheMaster #

After this I deleted the wireless connection and added it again, but still Could not get address
Mailman
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 21:59:00 PM »

Mailman,

before you go and install the driver from  ATI: did you check Tasma --> Peripherals --> Display --> Size and Orientation? What is the highest resolution that it gives you? (Even the standard VESA graphics driver should be able to give you 1024x768  - not exactly great, but workable...)

What exactly do you mean by "my mouse is visible to the built in bluetooth adapter"? Does it show up in the bluetooth configuration window? Do you have the little bluetooth symbol in your system tray?

Could you give us a few more details about you hardware and your network?

Roverrat,

I did check this indeed. and the resolution is already 1024x768
I must state that I had to adjust this manually in the konsole, but to be honest
I don't have the impression that it changed the resolution drastically.

Btw, I wasn't able to install the driver, see my posts before.

If I start up KBluetooth and I move my mouse the grey KBluetooth logo turns blue, but
the cursor remains on the same spot and won't move.

My hardware info:

CPU-informatie
Processor (CPU): AMD Turion(tm) 64 Mobile Technology ML-37
Snelheid: 800.00 MHz

Geheugeninformatie
Totaal geheugen (RAM):  1,010.25 MB
Vrij geheugen:  574.37 MB (+ 197.35 MB caches)

Hardware informatie
Type:  Other
Leverancier:  Acer, inc.
Model:  Ferrari 4000
Bios Aanbieder:  Acer
Bios versie:  3A21

Wireless: BCM4318 Airforce One 54G

Btw, is it an option to reinstall Pardus, run the updates before I configure the wireless network, and then configure it afterwards? Could this help?

I am really stuck now.... Huh?
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 08:36:36 AM »

Mailman,

could you run (as root) the command

Code:
lsmod

in a console window and attach the output?
That might give us some clues as to what modules *are* loaded.

As for the video driver configuration:

After installin the ati-drivers package you need the run the following commands (again, as root)

Code:
/opt/ati/bin/aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

and - to enable the proper resolution -

Code:
aticonfig --resolution=0,1600x1200,1280x1024,1024x768
(You may need to adjust this to the resolutions your display can handle)

to configure the driver. It will modify  your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file so make sure you have a backup ;-)

After this, reboot (or at least restart the X-server)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 14:22:57 PM by roverrat » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: