Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 20:29:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  News & Announcements
| | |-+  Beta testers needed for Pardus 2007.2 (beta)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beta testers needed for Pardus 2007.2 (beta)  (Read 7150 times)
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« on: June 13, 2007, 19:47:44 PM »

Just to inform:
Pardus project announces Pardus 2007.2 beta (codename Barış), which is
dedicated to our longtime developer Barış Metin (no, he hasn't passed
away, still alive and well).

This beta version includes all the bug fixes and updates applied to
Pardus 2007.1 Felis chaus, including but not limited to KDE 3.5.7,
OpenOffice.org, K3b and kernel updates and hundreds of bug and security
fixes.

Pardus 2007.2 beta (codename Barış) can be downloaded from
http://ftp://ftp.pardus.org.tr/pub/pardus/kurulan/2007.2_Beta/.

We would like to remind you that this is not a final version, and should
not be installed on production machines. We did our best to fix all
bugs, however should you find one, do not hesitate to enter a report in
our bug reporting system (http://bugs.pardus.org.tr).

Please note that to eliminate potential problems, burn the CDs in DAO
mode, 16x speed.

Best
Görkem

For freedom...
ThinkPardus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 19:20:06 PM »

Is there any difference between this beta and a fully updated 2007.1 install? I have both that and the new beta burned to disc, and I'm not sure which to install. Pardus is a fairly young distro, so I know that updates at this point are a big deal, so maybe I should go with the beta. On the other hand, English support appears to be very limited, so I'm concerned that I'll be on my own if I run into problems unique to the beta. What do you recommend? How close is the beta to a release candidate?
Eren.Turkay
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 19:34:46 PM »

Is there any difference between this beta and a fully updated 2007.1 install? I have both that and the new beta burned to disc, and I'm not sure which to install. Pardus is a fairly young distro, so I know that updates at this point are a big deal, so maybe I should go with the beta. On the other hand, English support appears to be very limited, so I'm concerned that I'll be on my own if I run into problems unique to the beta. What do you recommend? How close is the beta to a release candidate?

Beta CD contains packages from 2007-test repository, so if you update your system using test repository, you will get Pardus 2007.2 Beta.

To update all packages from test, you should remove stable repository which is added by default. Remove stable repository and add test repository with;

sudo pisi rr pardus-2007
sudo pisi ar pardus-2007-test --at 0 http://paketler.pardus.org.tr/pardus-2007-test/pisi-index.xml.bz2
sudo pisi up
ThinkPardus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 21:17:53 PM »

This will be a fresh install either way. I'm trusting that Pardus has good package integrity even in the non-stable, a la Debian. Any recommendations? I noticed that the old installer didn't detect 1280*1024 while the new one did on my office computer. My home laptop is a 1024*768, where I'll actually be installing this, so these are nice touches that I usually miss.

Quick question, is this the main English Pardus forum? Seems very sleepy.
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 23:32:32 PM »

My opinion is that you should install Pardus 2007.1, as I think you first need to find your way around in Pardus. 2007.2 can contain bugs, and there is no support. For 2007.1 you can post all your problems on this forum, we are more than willing to help you!

For freedom...
Kavani
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 00:40:27 AM »

I'm game.  Anything in particular?
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 11:01:03 AM »

What do you mean?

For freedom...
xva

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 12:44:09 PM »

I'm trying the beta and so far I have to say that is really great!
To install pardus 2007.1 on my hp pavillion with a nvidia 7500LE I had to choose the standard graphic mode, but in 2007.2 beta I got no issues with the normal way.
moreover the italian language has been added and I am happy about that  Wink
also the fact that one can choose to give root privilegies to the user created I think is a good addition.
thanks
Kavani
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 18:54:54 PM »

What do you mean?

Just that.  Is there a particular program or setting you would like to see on a few platforms.  I have some glitches, but they were with me with 2007.1.  So I think those are moot.  Love the new look, glad to see Thunderbird and Wine updated.  I'm on a hp Pavilion dv8000 with the ATi 200M.  Not bad so far.
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 17:31:35 PM »

Hi guys,

I find it slighty disturbing that my system got automatically upgraded to Pardus 2007.2 Beta, just by doing a regular "pisi up". Not that've encountered any problems so far. It's just that I think it's odd "forcing" the beta onto the Pardus user base. I assume many of us are using it on production machines.
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 19:04:12 PM »

If you didnt add the new repo, you are not automaticaly upgraded to 2007.2 beta, but a regular update of Pardus 2007.1
I have beta on my laptop, and the regular update on my desktop, and they are not the same. So dont be disturbed. The normal update is a tested stable update, not an upgrade.

For freedom...
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 20:11:35 PM »

Willem, that's good to hear. What is confusing though is that

Code:
cat /etc/pardus-release

on this particular system gives me

Pardus 2007.2 Beta
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 20:41:23 PM »

That indeed is strange! It is suppoded to be 2007.1  Undecided

For freedom...
msullivan
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 23:36:41 PM »

Alex,
I have the same results as you posted above.  I use the default repositories from my Pardus 2007.1 installation,  but my Pardus release shows 2007.2 Beta.  It is not a problem for me.  In fact,  it works and looks just like it did before.  It would have been nice to know before I upgraded,  though.

Marty
Kavani
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 11:58:13 AM »

So far, other than a few hiccups that have plagued me since I first installed 2007.1, I haven't had a bit of trouble with the beta.  It looks and runs great.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 15:13:39 PM by Kavani » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: