Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 12:49:10 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  Change of standard sound-card
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Change of standard sound-card  (Read 2662 times)
KimTjik
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2007, 21:20:33 PM »

Hello!

I'm a bit puzzled, because I can't seem to find any GUI function included for changing of default sound-card. I have the integrated and PCI sound-card. Pardus installation process set the integrated as default, something I want to change. Logically something down this line should be included in Tasma, but when I look around in the section "Sound & Multimedia" I can't find any option for this. Changing hardware configuration here does exclusively deal with what sound architecture I choose like ALSA, OSS and so on, and even MIDI device.

I suppose I've missed something very fundamental here, or is this action really left to console and file editing?
KimTjik
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 23:50:49 PM »

Nobody knows?

Personally I'm usually working in Fedora, now 7 64bit, so I used to find among administration tools something down the line of "Sound-card detection", which gives me the possibility to not just detect but also set which one of them should be system default.

As you probably already guessed I feel more at home in Gnome. Nevertheless I expect to find something similar in KDE Pardus.
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 21:38:56 PM »

I don't think there is a GUI function for changing sound cards in Pardus... Might be a good idea to add it to the wish list.
KimTjik
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 23:23:40 PM »

If that's so maybe I should. For us with more than one sound-card it would be very neat.
KimTjik
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 20:06:08 PM »

Let's be constructive and helpful Smiley! Hence I here give an explanation of how to set a sound-card as default (if Pardus didn't configure it according to your preference):

kimtjik@df ~ $ cat /proc/asound/cards

In my case this gives the following output:

0 [NVidia         ]:      HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                                HDA NVidia at 0xfe020000 irq 50
1 [CMI8738MC6     ]: CMI8738-MC6 - C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6
                                C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6 (model 55) at 0x9c00, irq 90

As can be seen the 0 or default sound-card is NVidia, a integrated sound-card on the motherboard. I want instead C-Media, which is a Trust Digital 5.1 PCI sound-card, to be default. You do that by creating as root a simple text file called asound.conf like this:

kimtjik@df ~ $ su
Password:
df kimtjik # nano /etc/asound.conf

Then you just paste the following:

pcm.!default {
  type hw
  card CMI8738MC6
}
  ctl.!default {
  type hw
  card CMI8738MC6
}

This is based on my example, but it helps to notice what id to use for the card in accordance to the output of cat /proc/asound/cards. I used the simple text editor nano, however you can choose kwrite or anything similar.

Instead of having this thread ending without a solution, I thought this might become helpful for some until a GUI function eventually gets included in Pardus.
Caraibes

Free Software on the beach, Tropical style !

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 20:43:30 PM »

I also have an integrated sound-card, and a PCI one. What I did was disabling the integrated one in the bios. This way, the OS only sees the PCI one.

I also dual-boot Fedora with Pardus (32bit). But this bios trick has been done a long time ago, prior to both installs...

Grab your Freedom, escape from the proprietary world !
KimTjik
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 22:41:34 PM »

That's of course a possibility Caraibes if you don't need more than one sound-card at a time. If you're running several applications and don't choose to configure something like Jack, or there's no fitting plug-in for it, you could face problems because one applications block another to access ALSA or OSS.

Hence the asound.conf file could be useful. I use it for example when using Skype simultaneously with some other ALSA or OSS dependent application. You might even record conversations this way in Audacity, or something down that line.

Fedora 7 has improved its handling of two or more sound-cards, at least I haven't run into the problems experienced in Fedora 5 based systems, when it could mess up the configuration totally when switching between different cards in the mixer. On another system though I've experienced a twist when using a USB-sound card: if the card is plugged in from boot it tend to in most cases blacklist the integrated one and select the USB-sound card as the one and only default sound-card. The easy and manual fix to this is to boot with the USB-sound card unplugged, and then plug it in when you're desktop is up running. To see these USB-sound cards in the mixer usually demands a asound.conf file as well which could be saved in the home directory.
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 09:29:34 AM »

Thanks KimTjik  Smiley I think this will be very helpful for a lot of people.
Have you considered putting this little HOWTO into the Pardus wiki?
KimTjik
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 18:06:53 PM »

Maybe, but it feels a bit too pretentious to me. I'm in no way a Linux-guru!

I would like to add one important note about the asound.conf file:

- not all programs will use the default sound device, some are configured to always look for the "0"-device, which in this case doesn't change. Realplayer is such an annoying example of this (I've tried to change the file it saves in the user folder, because there's a very simple line deciding this, but for some reason it doesn't work; Realplayer simply make a new file which even makes it loose some functionality, but I'll look into it some more).
KimTjik
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 21:27:22 PM »

OK, here's a follow up on the issue about RealPlayer not using the now selected default soundcard:

(Disclaimer: I suppose this works distribution independent, but if not I will edit this post when tested on Pardus. This works on Arch and Fedora for sure.)

1.) Edit as root "realplay" script in an editor of your choice. In Arch "realplay" is located at "/usr/bin/realplay"; in Fedora probably "/usr/local/bin/realplay".

2.) Look for these lines:
if [ -n "$LD_PRELOAD" ]; then
echo "Warning: LD_PRELOAD=\"$LD_PRELOAD\""
fi

3.) Right after the above lines paste this:
LD_PRELOAD="$LDPRELOAD:/usr/lib/libaoss.so.0.0.0"
export LD_PRELOAD

4.) Search and make sure you have "libaoss.so.0.0.0" installed to "/usr/lib/libaoss.so.0.0.0", otherwise point to the right location. If your installation lack this library install "alsa-oss". Save and close the "realplay" script.

5.) Now open as user - not as root - the "~/.realplayerrc" (meaning it's located in your home folder). The first line you see is probably "[helix]"; anyway right below that line paste the following:
SoundDriver=2

6.) Hopefully when you start RealPlayer it will now select ALSA default driver and device.

In Arch this works really well, so I hope it will be of use to my Pardus fellows. The issue with RealPlayer is that it uses the OSS driver - not a very great solution - but the "alsa-oss" package contains a program loader, aoss, which wraps applications written for OSS in a compatibility library, thus allowing them to work with ALSA. By the way: this also bring the buttons on the player interface to life!

My thanks for the tip mainly goes to shekharc. Great some have the brains I lack!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 21:53:30 PM by KimTjik » Logged
orhan
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 13:26:26 PM »

Pardus 2007-2 Just installed and at bbot tme no sound and ERROR msg.
ALSACONF working and finding sound card INTEL board 845 and AC '97  and finish w/o error.
Telling configure mixer.
RESTART same error message and no sound.
Orhan 2007 09 30
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: