Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 02:21:08 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  Can't Boot Pardus
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can't Boot Pardus  (Read 1752 times)
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2007, 06:36:28 AM »

my second hardrive holds a xp32bit os,a xp64bit os,and a Pardus os on about 45gigs w/ 3.5gig swap. My primary hardrive holds a big storage partition,and a xp32bit os that holds all ms os's NTDLR's or MBR. both hd's are 160gig western digital sata.   i've tried installing pardus different times using the different MBR options at end of the installation and i can't get pardus to boot, now that its on the secondary hardrive.            help please/ayuda por favor                                   

Is this because the pardus mbr installation recognize its not on the primary booting device?not properly being able to overwrite all ms os's ntdlr?

Can i edit my ms ntdlr, typing a boot path to boot up the Pardus os??

When i install Pardus again, what's recomended???

« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 05:02:19 AM by DANHO » Logged
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 14:41:48 PM »

I would recommend installing the linux bootloader grub to the MBR of the drive set to boot in the computer bios. This would be your  master drive (the one that holds your Win XP 32bit and the storage partition).

The bios will then pass controll to grub which should in turn give you a list of all installed operating systems on both disks. You can then select either one of the XP installs or Pardus.

Assuming your first disk is /dev/sda and the second one (the one with Pardus) is /dev/sdb with Pardus
installed onto the third partition this is how you go about installing grub to the MBR of the primary disk (you'll need a linux live CD to do this, since Pardus won't start...)

sudo grub
root (hd1,2)
setup (hd0)
quit

The first line will start grub in interactive mode where you can type the othet three commands. The second line tells grub where to find its configuration file configuration file. Grub starts counting from 0 so hd1 is yout second hard disk and 2 the third partition on it. The third line installs stage one of the bootloader into the MBR of the first disk.

Alternatively you can let your windows bootloader handle the start of your operating systems. This would require grub to be installed into the boot sector of the Pardus partition. You can then make a copy of the boot sector with the following command (using a linux live CD):

dd if=/dev/sdb3 of=/tmp/pardus.bin bs=512 count=1

(again assuming your pardus installation resides on the third partition of the second hard drive)

The resulting file pardus.bin needs to be copied to your windows partition and can then be appended to the windows boot.ini file. You can put it on a line of it's own that would look like this

c:\pardus.bin="Pardus Linux"

Hope that helps...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 15:15:52 PM by roverrat » Logged
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 23:17:29 PM »

Just before roverrat's quick response to my prob. i did a PWF search on "MBR" and learned to try switching master boot device's. so i switched my sata cables.i truly welcomed back the aqua color linux bootloader grub listing pardus and the fat32 option that takes you to all ms os's on all hardrives.but when i selected the felis(pardus),i only got this far,
                      uncompressing linux...ok,booting the kernel.
                      stat: cannot stat '/dev/sdb7':no such file or directory
                      -->could not find boot device
                      /bin/sh:cant accesss tty;job control turned off
                     #_
i tried all three mbr options during install. when i chose to install bootloader to
master boot device disk0 (that holds ini.file), I get an ERROR22 no such partition. i dont know if this because i converted (disk 0)to dynamic using ms-WMI
i tried to install bootloader to mbr on disk1 and to root partition and got no linux bootloader but just all my ms os's.

did you mean a "linux live cd" as an a slax or felis chause live cd?Huh?
i am running slax now and can't find any sudo grub commands that will let me edit mbr
 GOTSOMETHING HERE.
          Pardus Linux (http://www.pardus.org.tr), TUBITAK/UEKAE
 [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For the first word, TAB
   lists possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
   completions of a device/filename. ]

grub>
 Possible commands are: blocklist boot cat chainloader clear cmp color configfile debug device displayapm displaymem dump embed find fstest geometry halt he
lp hide impsprobe initrd install ioprobe kernel lock makeactive map md5crypt module modulenounzip pager partnew parttype password pause quit read reboot roo
t rootnoverify savedefault serial setkey setup terminal terminfo testload testvbe unhide uppermem vbeprobe

grub>

I reinstalled (standard-graph-mode) installed bootloader to disk0 mbr.
         ERROR22 no such partition
  linux bootloader is there totally blur and faded w/ white vertical stripes.
I downloaded Pardus live cd ran shell command su/sudo grub/ then, root (hd1,1-through-9)/setup (hd0) and (hd1) all resulted in error22 no such partition.
 all this must be cause the installer recgonize's the pardus root on an extended partition.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 05:43:20 AM by DANHO » Logged
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 15:52:26 PM »

Switching the SATA cables will cause sda to become sdb and vice versa. sdb (the hard disk with Pardus on it) is now sda...  Pardus then won't boot because it can't find its root partition. Using your recovery linux (yes: slax or the pardus live cd  Wink  you might try, as root:

grub
root (hd0,6)
setup (hd0)
quit

The second line will now  point grub to the seventh partition of the *first* hard drive.

Also, have you tried the alternative method of installing grub to the boot sector of the pardus partition and then let the windows boot manager handle the start of all your operating systems?
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 11:55:14 AM »

After the never ending error22 (no such partition),17 and 5, i  backedup my storage,mostly already on cds, and repartitioned both my hd's. this time making sure i get a little of both worlds (ms-xp and Pardus linux
).  splitting one hd w/ a 4gig c:\fat32  and storage partition i converted it(dynamically)using WMI, then switched sata cables installing  as sdb.

After installing another 4gig c:\fat32 on now sda ,a ntfs32bit,and a 64bit xp i made Pardus my fourth partition successfully.  The c:\fat32 on sda being, responsible for securing ini.files on all ms os's, is an os i seldom ever fire up except for recovery purpose. I use the ntfs os to run and test software while gaming  a xp 64bit evaluation copy (demo,trial)(great performance w/ my hardware). i copy all my os's ,except Pardus,(i cant open from ms)  to my storage for future recoveries.
 When attempting to repair an ms os using the xp installation cd,(yes already Cool)the linux boot loader will still be there but the xp installation will boot into the wrong partition.

When reinstalling xp, you'll lose the linux boot loader!!!(not necessarily lose it but it will get some what unassociated), this is where  felis chaus live cd comes to the rescue. running sudo grub in linux console i had to root hd0,3 instead of 4 as Pardus does sit in sda,4.  all in all is all good. i want to thank RoverRat, after successfully installing Pardus, i lost the mouse cursor set points on a ms os and tried to repair then reinstall losing the bootloader.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: