Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 09:00:04 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  About the "administrator" user...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: About the "administrator" user...  (Read 1178 times)
Caraibes

Free Software on the beach, Tropical style !

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2007, 15:12:35 PM »

Hi all,

I enjoy Pardus, seems like a fine distro. Everything works well on my desktop.

The only point where I would enjoy a clarification is this one : the main user is an "administrator" user, kind of like "root" himself  !!!

This particular point has been stirring heated reactions in the Linux world ( see it here, for instance : http://beranger.org/index.php?page=3k&categ=22&offset=0 )

My question is : -"is there a way to come back to a regular user account, without the root privileges, so that whenever there's a (important) decision to be taken, the system prompts for the root password ?"

Grab your Freedom, escape from the proprietary world !
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 16:09:06 PM »

On commandline youre not administrator, also outside your home directory your are not administrator.
For the commandline, most harmfull attacks may come via the commandline, you always need the su or sudo command to to admin stuff.
This is practically the same with working outside your home directory.
The bottom line of the security discussion is that you dont have to enter the administrator password for installing software via the graphical commandline interface (note you do have to sudo pisi it in commandline).
This is meant to make Pardus a bit less technical without leaving security.
Off course you can unclick this only administrator right in Tasma.

For freedom...
Caraibes

Free Software on the beach, Tropical style !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 21:05:41 PM »

Thanks, Willem, for your explanation.

Now about :
Off course you can unclick this only administrator right in Tasma.
I actually tried that, and I found myself locked out of my own root account, despite giving it my root password ! Some Pardus devs helped me out over IRC and it resulted I had to manually put myself back to the wheel group in /etc/group... It worked, but I had a little scare for about 20 mn !

I am not a security expert, so I won't pronounce any judgment over this issue.

I keep on using Pardus, it still gives me good impression, apart from a locales problem that I am going to discuss in another thread.

Grab your Freedom, escape from the proprietary world !
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: