Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 18:14:03 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  [solved]Canon Pixma ip1600
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [solved]Canon Pixma ip1600  (Read 8907 times)
marzeliv
« on: August 14, 2007, 18:36:36 PM »

How can I install my Canon Pixma ip1600 printer? There is no driver in the cups database and I can't install the official drivers since there are in .rpm format.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 06:59:19 AM by Andreas » Logged
benvdh
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 21:56:17 PM »

Hey,

According to some info on the OpenPrinting database site, it should be possible to use the driver for ip2200. Here's the page where I found the info:

http://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Canon-PIXMA_iP1600

Hope this info is enough for you,

Regards,

Ben

ps. If you need a step by step guide please post again.
marzeliv
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 14:36:03 PM »

Hey,

According to some info on the OpenPrinting database site, it should be possible to use the driver for ip2200. Here's the page where I found the info:

http://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Canon-PIXMA_iP1600

Hope this info is enough for you,

Regards,

Ben

ps. If you need a step by step guide please post again.

Thanks for the response.
I know that the ip2200 driver works because I have used it on my previous debian distro. The difference is that it was in the debian repositories and I could easily install it.
I will be grateful if you help me.

It will be good if someone makes a .pisi package of the driver.  Roll Eyes
benvdh
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 15:46:32 PM »

Hey,

Sorry for the late reply. Had some studying to do for a test at university. But I did some more research on this. For starters, I discovered (probably a bit late, but better late then never) that you were going to need the official linux drivers from Canon and that they are not supplied with Pardus (this, you allready discovered). Also I did some more work with google and found a thread in the turkish forum where this problem is also addressed. According to one of the links they gave, it's allready listed as a bug, so there is being worked on a pisi package. Untill that time you will have to install/compile the drivers by hand. Here are some instructions for that:

1. Download the drivers from (it's useful to create a new folder for all this stuff, since the canon file does not contain a folder) :
http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0024301.asp

2. Install rpm2tgz using the pardus packet manager (if it's not installed allready)

3. Open a terminal, go to the folder where you downloaded the package to and extract the rpm files using this command:
Code:
tar xvzf iP2200_Linux_260.tar.gz

4. Now we are going to convert the 2 rpm's we really need:
Code:
rpm2targz cnijfilter-common-2.60-1.i386.rpm
rpm2targz cnijfilter-ip2200-2.60-1.i386.rpm

5. Since these rpm's allready contained all the compiled stuff we only need to extract the files from the tar files we've just created and copy them to the right place:

extract
Code:
tar xvzf cnijfilter-common-2.60-1.i386.tar.gz
tar xvzf cnijfilter-ip2200-2.60-1.i386.tar.gz

Install

If everything went OK you should now have a usr folder in the same folder as where the tar packages are. Now we are going to copy this to /usr folder:

Code:
sudo cp -r usr /

6. The installation has now been finished, you should now only restart cups, so that it will be able to find the new driver and backend we've just installed. To do this Open Tasma, then go the system category and click the services option. In the list find the CUPS printer server and click the restart button.

7. You should now be able to add the printer through the peripherals > Printers option in tasma, or through the CUPS web GUI at localhost:631 (open a webbrowser, then type localhost:631 in the addressbar, click the administration tab and click add printer). The Canon driver can be found under Canon and is named: Canon iP2200 Ver.2.60

I hope these seven steps are enough to solve the problems you were having.

Kind regards,

Ben
Kavani
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 16:42:03 PM »

I might try this with my printer...  Thanks for the tip, Ben!
marzeliv
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 19:10:57 PM »

Hey,

Sorry for the late reply. Had some studying to do for a test at university.

Thank you very much. I will keep my fingers crossed for you  Wink
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 08:55:54 AM »

I reported a bug (when a PISI package is missing you may report this simply as a "bug") concerning my Canon PIXMA MP 520 printer/scnner, and within two days I was served with two fresh-made PISI packages especially for my multifunctional and with clear and working guidelines on how to install properly.

I was impressed by this quick and specific help from  the Pardus development team!

===================

http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=7040

--- Comment #3 from Ozan Çağlayan <ozan@pardus.org.tr>  2008-03-23 13:03:00 ---
The drivers are distributed in rpm and deb formats. Canon doesn't provide the
source codes.

I've created 2 PiSi packages based on the rpm packages. I'm gonna write the
instructions here, and if it works, I'm gonna put them on our wiki page and try
to package the scanner stuff as well.

First of all install the packages using console:

$ sudo pisi it
http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~ozan/dist/cnijfilter-common-2.80-1-1.pisi

$ sudo pisi it
http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~ozan/dist/cnijfilter-mp520series-2.80-1-1.pisi

After successfully installing them, restart your CUPS service:

$ service cups restart

Add a CUPS queue for the installed printer:

$ /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p MP520 -m canonmp520.ppd -v cnij_usb:/dev/usb/lp0 -E

Set it as default :

$ sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -d MP520

Restart your computer, and try to print something.

======================================

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 21:06:15 PM »

The scanner part of the PIXMA MP520 (and I guess probably also MP610) can also be made available for use in Pardus with xsane or kooka.

I did that by use of the following url as described below.

http://mp610.blogspot.com/2007/11/new-sane-scanner-driver-for-canon-mp610.html

=================

NOTE: Please check first of you have alreday acces to your scanner as root, because in that case you will only have to follow the 2nd part of the procedure!!! e.g.
Code:
su
xsane

Procedure-first part:

* Get the full new package that includes MP610: mp150-0.14.4.tar.bz2
, and untar it :
Code:
      $ tar xvjf mp150-0.14.4.tar.bz2

Go into the main directory (named "mp150-0.14.4") where you have you new driver files:

1. Compile:
Code:
      $ make

or better, if you want to optimize size (1/3 size!) and speed:
Code:
      $ make NDEBUG=yes

2. Test
      From here, you can use the classic "scan" utility provided with the package. See the pixma home page for details on it. Example:
Code:
      $ ./scan -x 10 -y 15 -w 51 -h 25 -1 -d 20 -W pixmascan.pnm

3. Install for Xsane, Kooka, ...
      To install for use with sane, you need to copy the libsane-pixma.so file freshly compiled, to replace you current one coming with the sane library (latest one is 1.0.19 **might be -18 on your system, Michiel**). Keep a backup of your current one.
      So you need first to locate your sane libsane-pixma.so currently installed, depending on your distribution.
      For instance, Mandriva and Ubuntu and Pardus  Grin  places it at: /usr/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.so.1.0.19
      Simply rename: /usr/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.so.1.0.19 to: /usr/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.so.1.0.19.old
      And copy your new: libsane-pixma.so to: /usr/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.so.1.0.19

The statements are (change to sudo or su mode first, Michiel):
Code:
      # mv /usr/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.so.1.0.19 /usr/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.so.1.0.19.old
      # cp libsane-pixma.so /usr/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.so.1.0.19

4. Try it with scanimage, Xsane, Kooka, ...
      You're almost finished.
      Under root, you can try to run
Code:
scanimage -L
(sane command line scan utility) for instance.
      To use Xsane, or Kooka with your non-root user account, read now next section ...

Setting permissions to access the scanner:

Now that you've installed your new scanner, maybe you've noticed that you can only use it ... as a root user !

=================

Procedure-second part:

I managed the 2nd part (in which a normal, non-root user can also acces the scanner and make use of it) on my Pardus sytem as follows:

1. in Tasma-System-User Managmentr tab "groups" clicked button "+add" and type in a new group name, e.g. scanner

2. Then in the same window change to tab "users" and allow all users you want to be member of the group scanner by selecting each user and selecting "edit" followed by marking the empty box in front of the freshly made group scanner at the right side of the screen

After that the scanner itself has to be pointed to the group scanner as well:

3. Open /etc/udev/rules.d/66-libsane.rules as root and add almost at the bottom:

Code:
# Canon PIXMA MP520
SYSFS{idVendor}=="04a9", SYSFS{idProduct}=="1724_116906", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner"

NOTE For the PIXMA MP610 productID is 1725 and for my MP520 it is 1724_116906 (adjust accordingly if necessarily); vendorID is 04a9 in both cases.

4. Finish by aspplying the newly set rules
Code:
$ su udevcontrol reload_rules

Both in Xsane and Kooka my MP520 scanner is now immediately recognised, Pardus even more joyful for me now !  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 21:10:00 PM by Michiel » Logged

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 21:24:50 PM »

BTW: the upcoming SANE version (1.0.20) will probably include the current libsane-pixma package which bring standard support to the following devices and will make life even more easier

"This will add the following PIXMA all-in ones to the Sane scanner project:

* MP140,
    * MP210/MP220,
    * MP470,
    * MP520,
    * MP610,
    * MP710,
    * MP740

Sane 1.0.19 release calendar was unfortunately not compatible with adding those updates to that version, as the code was frozen since November 2007, a few months before the official release, that occured in February 2008.

But you can now download the latest Sane CVS, and build it on your Linux distribution, to get latest PIXMA backend release."

Source: http://mp610.blogspot.com/

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: