Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 15:31:41 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  How do i "exit x"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do i "exit x"  (Read 1328 times)
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2007, 20:50:29 PM »

I want to install nvid drivers again but i must first exit X. 

ctrl-alt-f1  knocks me to the green screen in which point i run installer only to get same error to exit x.

In the past when X completly failed on me kicking me into text modus,I remembered the "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.11-pkg1.run" I had downloaded from nvidia site and stored in /etc/ without installing. I fired up a 64ms os and firefoxed back to nvidia site to write down sh command,then fired Pardus back to its ungraphical state, and shot nvidia sh command, pisi greeted me and started downloading and configuring ndiswrapper thats in our repository.A reconfiguaration of my xorg.config ensued and my graphical state was recovered.

I want to repeat this process but only after exitting X properly.  ctrl,alt,f1 or f2 does not cut it.

ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing.  For further details, please see the section INSTALLING THE NVIDIA DRIVER
         in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

OK

« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 19:38:57 PM by DANHO » Logged
benvdh
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 19:18:00 PM »

Hey,

it's quite easy, just do the following:

first become root by using the su command (followed by your root password).

Then just type init 3

Then X will exit and you can login again.

Then if you want to get back to X just type init 5.

Regards,

Ben
Eren.Turkay
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 19:21:27 PM »

Just type when you are in console (ctrl + alt + f1);

Code:
service kdebase stop

and when you're done, write;

Code:
service kdebase start
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 20:15:43 PM »

Thanks for the two different methods explained above. init 3 in shell or linux console in su mode didnt even flicker my screen. Maybe it will work after ctrl,alt,f1 in the green screen?
ctrl,alt,f1..green screen..login-password...su-login-password...service kdebase stop did shut down all x servers running.

Im able to confirm that whether x fails or is deliberately shut down, admin can install other compatible drivers to reconfigure xorg and restore graphical state, on my machine.

Muchas gracias again.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: