Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 20:43:03 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Wish list
| | |-+  Restricted Graphic drivers & Compiz Fusion "out of box"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Restricted Graphic drivers & Compiz Fusion "out of box"  (Read 1566 times)
highenergy
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:04:31 AM »

Hello,

I think the subject explains lot of things.

regards
H.E.

Acer Aspire 5520G-402G16, AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-58 1.9GHz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M G 128MB
Kavani
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 02:46:37 AM »

I have to agree.  Though it does work with my intel driver on other distros.  (If I can just get Pardus do see the intel driver, instead of the "None" with 3D support.
Kavani
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 01:15:44 AM »

highenergy -

Which restricted driver are you using?  I'm using the intel driver and just managed to get compiz working on my laptop.  If you're using the intel driver, here's what I did.  These edits are done as root!

Edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.  Before making any changes, save it as xorg.conf.old!
- You need to enable Composites.  So it should look something like this:

Code:
Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "enable"
EndSection

Section "dri"
    Mode 0666
EndSection

Now, when you type compiz in Konsole, is should tell you that you're missing some GLX files.  Now you need to edit your /etc/profile.env file.  Add this line to the end of it:

Code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib

Log out and log back in.  Now Compiz should start.  It's running slow on my laptop, but I think that's from not having a lot of memory.  Your mileage may vary.  Hope this helps.
highenergy
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 19:56:17 PM »

From the restricted I mean proprietary drivers of nvidia & ati. Why don't we have them out of box?

Acer Aspire 5520G-402G16, AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-58 1.9GHz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M G 128MB
KimTjik
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 22:09:14 PM »

I can't speak for Pardus, but I have some general thoughts about this:

- proprietary drivers obviously aren't open-source and hence Linux developers can't fix theirs security vulnerabilities
- Pardus doesn't have a dedicated server edition, but in view of the above a critical system should never use proprietary drivers
- strictly put you don't even have the judicial right to include them, though some few do, or they wisely give you the offer while making the initial install to with a working Internet connection get them compiled

Neither ATI or Nvidia seem to be very keen on suing any distributions for violating the code of conduct for proprietary software - and why should they since selling hardware is their main focus - but few distributions choose to openly disregard it. As I said, I can't speak for Pardus. I don't how strict its developers are, both in terms it being proprietary software and security. In view of the situation I think it's a wise choice to let the user choose whether he/she wants to install these drivers, while doing the procedure as smooth and easy as possible.

Regards,

KimTjik
Kavani
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 01:52:33 AM »

Sorry, I'm used to seeing ATi and nVidia as proprietary and the mobo based graphics like Intel as restricted.  NVidia is usually good about releasing linux drivers, but you may have to get them from the site.  I'm afraid I can't help here since the one laptop I did install Pardus on had an ATi chipset not regularly supported.  Oh well.
Night
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 10:06:35 AM »

Compiz sure works with my laptop..
Just so slow cant really use it..  Grin

a small addon to that, atleast i need to start it with command compiz-manager.

Kavani
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 16:51:56 PM »

Night, I'm with you on that.  Compiz runs to slow to be useful.  Unfortunately, it's not from the lack of memory.  Oh well.  I've got to start with Compiz Icon.  It's one of the few programs that I can't seem to get to autostart on a regular basis.  Tongue
Night
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 19:24:38 PM »

yes well its sad that i can get compiz working on my laptop with intel driver
and then cant use it as it works too slow...

As i cant make it work in Pardus on my other pc with ATI..
i think Pardus needs XGL package and restriced drivers manager like ubuntu has.

Otherwise its a perfect distro.
Well one thing it lacks too is support Finnish language, i can install the packages and set it but its not very good, its still english in many places..

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: