Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 01:20:11 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  setting up a Pardus server
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: setting up a Pardus server  (Read 2182 times)
pettersolberg

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2007, 20:37:02 PM »

Maybe this post should appear in some other section, but:

Is it possible to set up a Pardus installation for server purposes, but without the graphical environment?
We've got an older pentium xeon server with 512MB ram and I'm in trouble: will the hardware suffice for a default install?

We need a http, samba and simple student's applications server in our school's LAN (for ~70 clients).

Thanks for your opinions
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 10:36:36 AM »

I don't really know, but I suppose you will be able do do a default install of Pardus on your hardware. You could then shutdown the Xserver and work from the console. For a simple samba and webserver setup the xeon should be OK. I'm not sure Pardus has a runlevel for starting the system without X like many other distros do.

The developers are working on a dedicated server version of Pardus slated for the end of this year or early 2008.
Kavani
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 12:26:25 PM »

Edit the /etc/inittab file and change the default run level line from 3 to 1. 
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 12:53:54 PM »

Ah, thanks Kavani. For some reason I thought runlevel 1 to be single user with *no* network.
pettersolberg

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 16:53:51 PM »

Tanks for the answers, we'll try the with XServer for the first (anyway, all the Windows based servers run with the GUI attached ).

The developers are working on a dedicated server version of Pardus slated for the end of this year or early 2008.
That's some great news. Can't wait for it.
Kavani
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 17:53:56 PM »

Until I looked at mine this morning, I thought that Pardus was running at 5, not 3.  I'd say try 1 or 2.
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 19:11:08 PM »

I would have thought the same Kavani (I'm used to runlevel 3 being multi-user text mode and 5 multi-user graphical mode).

I'm not really sure if there is a difference between Pardus' runlevels 1 and 2. Both seem multiuser and there is a network connection. It's just that the network daemons like openssh, samba etc don't start automatically, like they do when the system starts in runlevel 3 (provided you have those services set to start automatically of course  Wink )
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 19:13:34 PM by roverrat » Logged
pettersolberg

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 21:46:02 PM »

I just want to say, we've got Pardus into this box and it works fine!

And, BTW, all current Microsoft server systems are GUI anyway Smiley

To tell a secret: we tried openSuse, Ubuntu server and Slackware, but Pardus just did it.
Other candidates had stranges issues (networking problems on Ubuntu, .

The news about Pardus is spreading and we're happy now!
Kavani
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 20:00:56 PM »

Good work, pettersolberg!  Glad to hear it's up and running!  Cheesy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: