Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 04:00:50 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  getting stuck by xorg problems
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: getting stuck by xorg problems  (Read 2799 times)
zsurnz

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2007, 23:50:23 PM »

Hello,
I try to install Pardus on a laptop. However the installation stops, yali being unable to start owing to xorg problems. I get many errors in /var/log/messages/Xorg.0.log:

(EE) Failed to load module "synaptics" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) intel(0): detecting sil164
(EE) intel(0): Unable to read from DVOI2C_E Slave 112.
(EE) intel(0): Unable to read from DVOI2C_E Slave 236.
(EE) intel(0): ivch: Unable to read register 0x00 from DVOI2C_B:04.
(EE) intel(0): Unable to read from DVOI2C_E Slave 112.
(EE) intel(0): tfp410 not detected got VID FFFFFFFF: from DVOI2C_E Slave 112.
(EE) intel(0): No valid modes.
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

In contrast, a working xorg.conf file taken from a Zenwalk distribution installed on another partition yields only one error when used during Pardus insllation:

(EE) Failed to load module "pcidata" (module does not exist, 0)

Instead of tinkering the Zenwalk file, I tried to start installation with xorg=safe as kernel option as adviced on this forum. Unfortunately I get stuck with black X screens with no way to get back to a console  Huh?
Is there a simple way to get around such problems ? Thanks.

DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 21:20:44 PM »

Have you tried all three (3) different installation options?

CARACAL

Graphical Mode

(Minimal Option)

Huh?Huh???

zsurnz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 20:29:32 PM »

Yes I did try the 3 install procedures available including 'minimal options', all of them lead me to the same black screen, and I cannot get back to the console: ctr-alt-backspace does not work, presumably because X is not properly running ?
This pb is specific to my laptop. I tried to install Pardus on my old desktop computer at home and went successfully though these early steps. I just had to stop at a latter step as the 3 Mo on the free partition were not enough... Hopefully in latter versions it will be possible ton install a minimal system without X and get other packages through the network (as with ArchLinux, my current distribution).
zsurnz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 20:40:07 PM »

I forget to state that I can see the Pardus bootsplash. It seems that's the program called yali that fails to start. I guess any working xorg.conf file from another distro should be OK in Pardus provided it does not resort to some tools unavailable in Pardus (such as the pcidata module requested by the Zenwalk xorg.conf file ?)
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 21:53:44 PM »

OK now let me try to understand this.

You've completed installation. Complete right?

You've rebooted, saw grub splash, selected caracal, logged in, and all you have is text mode with no graphicals?(init3)

Have you've tried Alt-F1, It knocks me into text modus.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 22:00:57 PM by DANHO » Logged
zsurnz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 00:37:28 AM »

No I did not succeed to complete the install.
In fact with the first installation procedure "caracal caracal" I can see the bootsplash, then a grey horizontal part at the bottom with 'pardus' written on it, but I happen to be in text mode, after some blinkering of the screen indicating that xorg is trying to start.
At this stage I can type bash commands in the console, that is how I managed to peek at the errors msg on my first post.
PS. dmesg tells me that Intel 830M chipset is detected.
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 17:04:02 PM »

Sry,Zsurnz. I can't personally help you. But i went mad looking for a forum piece in this very same forum where a cat explains how to personally preselect packages for Pardus install during installation.  It's in this forum somewhere.

Command lines to preselect packages or certain packages during install.
And keys to hold down during install to access text mode screen to pre-select packages.
I read it in here somewhere.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: