Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 20:32:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  Pardus - Based on what distro?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pardus - Based on what distro?  (Read 2016 times)
Zinden
Pardus Master

www.Pardus-linux.se

View Profile WWW
« on: September 02, 2007, 14:44:31 PM »

Just wondering if Pardus is based on a certain distro?

like Ubuntu is based on Debian.....

Mailman
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 16:05:54 PM »

As far as I know, Pardus isn't based on any distro.
KimTjik
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 16:11:33 PM »

To begin with it was based on Gentoo, but as far as I can understand Pardus has from this original derivation become more than a fork, and instead I see how developers choose to come up with their own solutions with a lot of tools and scripts written in Python.

I might be wrong but what I see is a Gentoo base, but except from that a distribution with its own uniqueness.

(By the way: I'm a Swede as well. I don't use Pardus as my main distribution - I'm a Arch user - but I keep testing it and would like to see it become a bullet-proof alternative. It's one of the most polished and well organized distributions I've seen, so if it wouldn't have been for some odd issues I've experienced on ATI based chipset motherboards I would definitely install it as a first choice on more computers when folks ask me for advice.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 16:21:43 PM by KimTjik » Logged
Kavani
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 22:14:41 PM »

On the Pardus home page, there is a power point explaining how Pardus, well PiSi, came to be.  If I remember right, the development team looked at both .deb and .rpm based installs and weren't satisfied with either.  So they made PiSi to ensure things were installed as they should be.  I believe they took the best parts of a few distros and combined them with PiSi to make Pardus.  I may be entirely wrong though.   Cheesy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: