Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 11:03:25 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  Why isn't nvidia-settings...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why isn't nvidia-settings...  (Read 1482 times)
KimTjik
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2007, 01:52:15 AM »

I booted into my Pardus installation, just to check how things are going. I did install Nvidia proprietary graphic-card drivers. So far so good.

I did though expect to find the "nvidia-settings" utility somewhere among the menus, but I haven't been able to spot it. It's installed and can be run from it's usual location at /usr/bin/. I couldn't though understand why it was hidden in that way.

The thing is that with the Nvidia driver gamma, contrast and brightness often have to be adjusted. The options from "Tasma" or equal controls aren't sufficient to get a perfect result; at least that's my experience. I run "nvidia-settings" and made necessary adjustments, so the screen got perfect. I continued to fiddle around a bit, and suddenly I realized that my adjustments had been reversed. Why? It looks like there's too many automatic scripts running, because it you open "Tasma" ---> "Peripherals" ---> "Display", the monitor automatically reverse to default. It's the first time ever I've noticed this in any Linux distribution.

I don't know if it's intentionally designed to be this way, or not. Either way it's not practical. And why should the monitor get reset to default automatically by opening "Display" in "Tasma", when there's a "Default" option already? And shouldn't the utility "nvidia-settings" preferably be more accessible, like in other distributions, because I'm not sure that a new user of Linux would know where to search?

That's all for now folks!

Regards,

KimTjik
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 01:54:27 AM by KimTjik » Logged
marzeliv
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 00:55:37 AM »

The thing is that with the Nvidia driver gamma, contrast and brightness often have to be adjusted. The options from "Tasma" or equal controls aren't sufficient to get a perfect result; at least that's my experience. I run "nvidia-settings" and made necessary adjustments, so the screen got perfect. I continued to fiddle around a bit, and suddenly I realized that my adjustments had been reversed. Why? It looks like there's too many automatic scripts running, because it you open "Tasma" ---> "Peripherals" ---> "Display", the monitor automatically reverse to default. It's the first time ever I've noticed this in any Linux distribution.

I don't know if it's intentionally designed to be this way, or not. Either way it's not practical. And why should the monitor get reset to default automatically by opening "Display" in "Tasma", when there's a "Default" option already? And shouldn't the utility "nvidia-settings" preferably be more accessible, like in other distributions, because I'm not sure that a new user of Linux would know where to search?

That's all for now folks!

Regards,

KimTjik

I reinstalled Pardus today and encountered the same problem. I changed my resolution and refresh rate via nvidia settings and kde reversed it to sth else.
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 17:19:10 PM »

When i use Nvidia "new" glx,tool,and kernal pakages, I also have to reset my personal nvidia-settings at (digital vibrance, sharpening,antialiasing, and anistropic) after every reboot or resetting x.

Now when i use Nvidia "regular" glx,tool, and kernal (not new or old packages) my nvidia-settings remains how i've configured it.(i dont lose settings)

I have 2 sli 7300gt's

Maybe different nvid pkg's are in the calling.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 02:03:04 AM by DANHO » Logged
Kavani
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 18:21:49 PM »

Danho, how're those SLI cards working for you?  If my husband and I do a computer swap again, I may invest in a second GeForce card.
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 18:55:15 PM »

You can expect better graphics when using twice the hardware.True.
Mother board "sli"capable? (sli motherboard needed as same type and model video cards)(two of same sli video cards)
NVIDIA CORPORATION makes better video drivers for mucusoft operating systems.
SLI graphics are much livelier (vibrant clear) on mucusoft (ms) systems.(games-music videos).
SLI gives junkie (user) lots of res. and monitor options. (split-frame rendering, single, and split one card for monitor "A"  and use another card to power a seperate monitor.
I believe Nvidia corps got a sli linux pkg or a set of instructions and commands, way over my head (too hard for me to execute) to achieve "sli" configuration settings on your linux distro.
Currently on my Pardus ,under section device, card 0 is for screen 0 (default) and card 1 is assigned to screen 1. They both have different bus #'s and different screens which prevents me from splitting my screen(split frame rendering) meaning,,,,, using 1 video card to power have your screen and the other card to power the other half of same screen.(I cant achieve this in pardus)(i dont have the "sli" settings in my nvidia-settings. Too hard for me to understand the language and then execute. Though i think its available.
     http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/100.14.11/README/chapter-25.html

Kevani, if you want, we can continue this at new topic

http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php/topic,1220.0.html
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 19:26:43 PM by DANHO » Logged
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 02:09:12 AM »

Also, if your nvidia settings needs to be configured every time you reset x or reboot your computer then you can try;

Uncheck "include x display names in the config file"

run nvidia-settings, click "nvidia-settings Configuration" at bottom. Now uncheck the box for
              "include x display names in the config file"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: