Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 09:07:57 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  [solved]I'm wondering about the Pardus Firewall
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [solved]I'm wondering about the Pardus Firewall  (Read 1082 times)
FoamRocket
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2007, 13:46:21 PM »

In Ubuntu Linux there's IP tables, all of Ubuntu's ports are open but not one of them is a listening port by default, so unless I start some kind of (unnecessary) service myself, I'm as safe as if I had installed Firestarter & with it, made IP tables blacklist all kinds of traffic, completely closing the ports & then I'd have to allow certain ports via Firestarter.

I am right, am I?

If I haven't misunderstood things to begin with, I'm now wondering if this is the same thing in Pardus?

Do I need the Pardus Firewall up and running? I noticed it wasn't on by default, I had to turn it on myself.

Part of the reason why I'm asking is because I'm having trouble getting ktorrent to accept incoming connections. It says that it might be my firewall that's the issue, even though I've added the appropriate ports in the firewall.

Is there an easy-to-understand guide somewhere in which I can read up on the Pardus firewall?

//FoamRocket
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 13:22:13 PM by Andreas » Logged

I think the lack of activity on this forum is in part an indication of the lack of problems with this distribution...
yosefm

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 23:13:42 PM »

It also prevents the possibility of some unauthorized program (virus, rootkit, just a misbehaving one) accepting connections without you knowing about it.

I used to configure my firewall to also block outgoing connections except for some ports, as a social service of a kind, but it turned out to be quite a hassle, for a relatively secure Linux box. On a Windows system it's a must, and all Windows firewalls do it (that I know of).

For the truly paranoid, you also have intrusion detection systems like Tripwire, rootkit scanners and such. Gentoo has an extensive security handbook that you might want to read sometime.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: