Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 18:15:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  Components in PiSi
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Components in PiSi  (Read 1224 times)
yosefm

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2007, 21:45:23 PM »

I see that every package is part of some component, and that PiSi has commands to list components. But what are they for, and where are they used? Could someone give an overview of this?
benvdh
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 21:05:10 PM »

Hey,

Quite an interesting question. Since I'm not a pardus dev I'm not sure my answers is complete, but after a bit of research it looks like these components are used to navigate through the filetree on the server where most of the packages are stored. Also I think these are used to categorise the packages in the package manager, but of this last part I'm not very sure.

Regards,

Ben
Eren.Turkay
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 21:14:24 PM »

I see that every package is part of some component, and that PiSi has commands to list components. But what are they for, and where are they used? Could someone give an overview of this?

It's for package-manager, you see the components on left side, right? It's done with component.xml files in each directory Wink If we set "<VisibleTo>user</VisibleTo>" tag in component.xml, this component will be shown in package-manager. That's why a lot of component is shown up when you add Contrib repository (e.g, Xfce Desktop, Compiz Fusion etc..)

Also, this component hierarchy makes svn repository tree understandable and useful.

http://svn.pardus.org.tr/pardus/devel/desktop/kde/component.xml
http://svn.pardus.org.tr/pardus/devel/applications/multimedia/component.xml

and so on.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 21:16:15 PM by Eren.Turkay » Logged
yosefm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 23:50:18 PM »

Thanks for the answer.

So the way I understand it, components are handled by repository managers, not by packagers - so when creating a package, I don't have to worry about the component where my package directory lies. Right?
Eren.Turkay
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 07:31:41 AM »

Of course, you don't need to worry about component.xml. Generally, it's handled by repo managers, right. If you are good at multimedia applications or libraries, or something, you can get all responsibilities of that component. See the packager section; http://svn.pardus.org.tr/contrib/desktop/gnome/component.xml

You can create a component.xml which doesn't exist. Think that you're trying to package fluxbox, and it's not in the repository, nor it has component. You create "fluxbox" directory in "desktop" and add component.xml in it. You can create component.xmls how many you want. E.g

desktop.gnome.base
desktop.xfce4.base
desktop.xfce4.themes
desktop.xfce4.goodies

etc.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: