Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 02:46:49 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Introduce yourself
| | |-+  India calling
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: India calling  (Read 2626 times)
jaideep_jdof
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2007, 08:40:52 AM »

Hi,
I am Jaideep from Delhi, India. I am using GNU/Linux and BSDs for last 4yrs but still I can't call myself an expert. My list of  GNU/Linux and BSDs and what I feel about the OS goes like this:

Redhat Sad
Mandriva Smiley
Ubuntu Sad
ArchLinux Grin
Slackware Smiley
SimplyMEPIS Undecided
Yoper Undecided
Zenwork Grin
Elive Wink
SUSE Angry
Vector Smiley
FreeBSD Grin
PC-BSD Grin
NetBSD Undecided
OpenBSD Undecided
Pardus Grin

I am a management student, in a sense I an clearing the myth that GNU/Linux and BSDs are for software engineers and geeks. I can't remember when I last installed or used Windows on my laptop or desktop. Using Open Source free s/w for me got nothing to do with the cost, but its the bird like feeling you get when you use, feels like you are free from bindings of close sourced s/w, I hope you guys understand what I mean.
I will try to contribute more in this forum.
And thanks Pardus community for creating this damn good distro. I never expected such level of professional feel that this distro gives me.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 08:44:19 AM by jaideep_jdof » Logged
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 08:58:05 AM »

Welcome to Pardus and to the forum, Jaideep  Smiley
FoamRocket
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 09:09:59 AM »

I'm just curious, why did Ubuntu get an Sad

And welcome to the forum! Smiley Cheesy

//FoamRocket

I think the lack of activity on this forum is in part an indication of the lack of problems with this distribution...
Zinden
Pardus Master

www.Pardus-linux.se

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 09:12:07 AM »

and pardus lost the "love" and only got a happy face?
what happened...  Shocked

jaideep_jdof
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 11:23:13 AM »

and pardus lost the "love" and only got a happy face?
what happened...  Shocked
Because smilies depicts your feelings without wasting words.
jaideep_jdof
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 11:30:02 AM »

I'm just curious, why did Ubuntu get an Sad

And welcome to the forum! Smiley Cheesy

//FoamRocket

Ubuntu got Sad because it doesn't bring anything new to the table but the same old debian. Ubuntu on my system was slow, its bloated and its not that easy to use for new windows users as they say it is. I feel that its topping the distrowatch list because they gives you CDs for free and in countries like india where broadband internet connection is still a dream for many, free CDs are like gods gift.
Kavani
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 12:02:13 PM »

Nice list.  I rather liked Elive, but I had too many problems with my wireless needs for it to be practical.  Welcome, jaideep!  You'll find a rather nice distro here.
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 21:54:12 PM »

Welcome to have you here, you actually tested them all!!

For freedom...
jaideep_jdof
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 11:37:30 AM »

Yes, with some i have a brief experience, and with some longer.
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 19:50:23 PM »

I think that most people who start with Pardus have already tested a wide range of distro's.
Which rises the question, is Pardus this good, or are other distro's this bad. The last I cant imagine, since they gain a lot more popularity than Pardus.

For freedom...
jaideep_jdof
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 22:34:22 PM »

Before i tell you why I feel pardus is good let me first scrutinize some of the famous distros:

1) Debian and its derivatives: Ask some of the users of these distros 'why their distro is good' they will tell you because debian and its derivatives have a very large repository of softwares, and its easy to install these softwares and its easy to manage a debian based distro. But ask them had they ever used all the softwares provides they will say not, so then what purpose does a large repo serve. About ease of management then there are many other distros which are way easier to manage than debian example archlinux.

2)Fedora and its derivatives: Its easy, RPMs sucks.

This covers half of the linux distros out there does'nt it.

Let me now explain why I feel pardus is a very good distro. Pardus is build from scratch, that means developer knows every line of code, its easier to pin point the problem area. Pardus is optimized for i686, added performance boost. It has a GUI integrated control center, which is not there in the most popular distro ubuntu.

I am seeing a trend in linux distro that many new distros are mere  a pack of a already existing distros software packages, for example ubuntu is a collection of debian packages nothing new.

Eren.Turkay
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 22:41:01 PM »

Let me now explain why I feel pardus is a very good distro. Pardus is build from scratch, that means developer knows every line of code, its easier to pin point the problem area. Pardus is optimized for i686, added performance boost. It has a GUI integrated control center, which is not there in the most popular distro ubuntu.

You're completely right Wink
jaideep_jdof
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 23:56:25 PM »

I am always right Wink
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: