Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 13:04:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Tips and tricks
| | |-+  Autostart programs at KDE login
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Autostart programs at KDE login  (Read 1303 times)
Lloyd De Jongh

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2007, 12:49:37 PM »

Hi

I read this somewhere Pardus-related recently, but cannot remember where. I did a search for "Autostart" on the forum and found no mention, so I'm adding it here. The solution was good, but if my memory serves left out a simplifying step.

The home directory of each user has a .kde3.5 hidden folder in it (the dot in front of the name inidcates that it is to be hidden). There is a symlink to that folder called .kde as well. To have a program automatically start when you log in to your desktop, you can drag and drop a link to the program or script into the Autostart folder. However it's buried inside a hidden folder.

To make things simple, from a command line type the following command from your home directory:

ln -s  /home/Lloyd/.kde/Autostart/ ./Autostart

To make sure you are in your home directory type "cd", minus the quotes of course. YOu will then have a folder called Autostart in your Home folder.

When you drag an icon into Autostart your choices will be to:

Move, Copy, Link, Escape (Cancel)

Choose Link and that should be that.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." -- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
Kavani
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 11:51:25 AM »

Nice, I know that at least with my install, any program I have running when I log off is started automatically.  Typically it's when I forget to log off of pidgin.  I'll have to see what I can do with that.  Thanks Lloyd.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: