Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 10:58:18 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  Few good things from arch world
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Few good things from arch world  (Read 1791 times)
jaideep_jdof
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2007, 08:40:08 AM »

Most of you must have heard of archlinux. Because of my major issue I had to shift back to archlinux which I was using previously to pardus linux.
I am bring you some of the great features of archlinux that might help pardus to improve.

1) Rolling release: Archlinux follows a rolling release that means that there is no releases, that means take a old CD of archlinux, istall it and update it and you will get the latest release. It saves the burden to maintain so may releases and even old users are uptodate.
Debian and Mepis has started to use this system.

2) KISS principle: KISS is not just for GUI configuration but also for CUI. Archlinux has just one file RC.CONF which configures the entire system, its way way easier than any GUI control center.

3) Its Fast: Its faster than Pardus without any parallel running of services at boot. I cant explain this but you have it install it to see it.

I really enjoyed my experience with pardus linux thats why i want to see it improve because i feel it has the potential to take the first position replacing the lousy ubuntu. Grin
Eren.Turkay
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 16:21:25 PM »

1) Rolling release: Archlinux follows a rolling release that means that there is no releases, that means take a old CD of archlinux, istall it and update it and you will get the latest release. It saves the burden to maintain so may releases and even old users are uptodate.

You can update your old Pardus to newer one? I think, you meant something different?
jaideep_jdof
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 17:14:21 PM »

No I didn't mean that, check the link and you will get an idea.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/FAQ
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 20:47:56 PM »

The inbetween updates are mostly meant for people who don't have a broad band internet connection. I didn't install anything since 2007 alpha 3, just type sudo pisi up once in a while.

For freedom...
jaideep_jdof
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 22:13:48 PM »

Even if some one doesn't have a broad band connection they can still have a stable release installed on their system. Just tell me having a separate repository for every release, doesn't it increase the burden on package maintainer, updating and patching the packages.
Having just on repository reduces the burden. Arch linux has just three main repositories for all their releases:

1)Core:It contains Arch core packages and some additional software.
2)Extra:It contains all Arch packages that didn't make it into core.
3)Community:It contains packages from the AUR that have enough votes and were adopted by a TU.

Check out this link to get a better idea http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Official_Repositories
jaideep_jdof
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 22:29:29 PM »

Right now pardus is at 2007 release so it has a repository for 2007 but what will happen when the 2008 release is there. There will be another directory on the server for 2008. This will leave 2007 users with the options to keep on using old software or download the 2008 CD and upgrade but there is no surety that this upgrade doesn't leave a unusable broken system.
Rolling release system is the best option thats why debian since 4.0 is following and mepis from 7 will be following this system.     
Caesar Tjalbo
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 22:58:27 PM »

I'm very interested in Arch Linux. I've started using GNU/ Linux distros a little more than a year ago. My aim was a dual boot system with Windows XP but I screwed up and via a zero boot system I was full on free software in a bang. No internet or sound but otherwise uneventful; I'd anticipated something more difficult. I found installing a distro (Fedora, *buntu, Centos but even Slackware) so easy that I'm completely clueless when something does go wrong. Arch seemed a nice small step into deeper waters, a challenge.

Before installation I tried to be as prepared as possible, I compiled an A4 full of notes of everything I thought I was going to need. Then boot, install, reboot: kernel panic. I was prepared so I knew how to boot the recovery kernel as normal kernel. Prompt, log in as root: X borked. Or I should say my monitor borked since it refused to display anything more. X restart, some magic, back to prompt, repeat. But eventually there I was: a root user in Arch... .... .... ...and now what?

I'll try Arch again some time, when I have an idea what's needed and I'll be a little more prepared. Gave Pardus a try and I'm back into "Linux is child's play land". One minor error during installation (bug filed) but further smooth sailing. Even MP3s & Flash enabled, I've spent all the time saved in making KDE just right.  Grin
jaideep_jdof
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 07:22:30 AM »

Pardus and ArchLinux are both targeted at different audience. As I have used archlinux for a long time, I feel that its much easier to configure and manage. And all your doubts and problem can be solved if you visit their wiki and forum.
Anyway I am now Pardus 2007.2. Reason for using is that its i686 optimized and it boots as fast as ArchLinux and has a professional feel from the grub menu to the desktop.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: