Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 16:56:57 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  Boot Manager
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boot Manager  (Read 1297 times)
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2007, 16:55:06 PM »

I disconnected(unplugged) my second sata hardrive about three weeks ago. I connected the hardrive back to my mb and Now I can't boot the ms os. I can read and write the drive but can't boot it. I tried editing boot manager but sdb1 does not exist.
How can I boot the ms os on my second hardrive from linux grub?
shaun

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »

I can't help with grub as I'm a Linux noob but I have had a similar experience.

The only fix I could find was to set the MS hard drive as first HD to boot in the bios and then pop in my XP disk, get to a DOS prompt and enter "fixmbr"

This will destroy and rewrite your boot record so you will have to reinstall any other OS other than windows. Windows should then boot after a restart.
Kavani
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 12:09:21 PM »

Hey Danho, make sure fstab is seeing it and that you can read it while in Pardus.  You should be able to fix grub with a command similar to the fixmbr, but I can't seem to remember what the command is.
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 05:26:00 AM »

Before, this 160gig western digital sata hd(mainly a storage hd with an ms os on it) was displayed in grub as sdb1. Always bootable.
I've disconected it many times before, before turning on pc to eliminate "half!" the humming that goes on in that box. Disabling it in ms and unmounting it in Pardus still spins the platter causing and extra 35 to 45 percent more humm.
It's a storage drive. Seldomely accessed to throw in some backup files.
Soon, sdb1 was no longer in grub. Only bootable if plugged as sata 1 (primary boot) but both partitions were accessable(read and write access) from Pardus and a 64bit ms os.
I ran fixmbr in cmd while running the 32bit os and in installation/repair mode with xp cd.
Fstab wasn't recognizing it. Boot Manager couldn't add sdb1 as it was no such device but files in both partitions(ms os and storage) were still accessable. I tried to reinstall grub. The first command "root (0," tab or enter wasn't cutting it. Reapeated Error 25.
When I editted grub.conf then went to boot manager it showed error inputs. It showed in grub splash but yet not bootable.
I backed  up about 90 gigs and attempted to format the whole hd as primary(sata 1) but  xp cd's couldn't format let alone start copying files.
Thats when it Struck me. Its no goood.
Whats the name for programs on Pardus that partitions,formats, and or checks the disk for errors or damage?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 05:31:57 AM by DANHO » Logged
shaun

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 07:47:17 AM »

Blimey what a great time you have been having - does Pardus have a Gparted ?
Kavani
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 12:18:03 PM »

Yep.  Though I can't remember if it's GParted or QParted.
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 19:20:38 PM »

Its more like education in hell.
Yes I believe its "gparted" It comes with ms dos labeling or somthing?
I've already partitioned it using gparted. Two partitions, a small (8.8gig) for a  ms os and the rest for storage, I was wondering if theres anything else I should run on this hd before giving it another go at
xp installation cd as I already have caracal on my main machine and a minimal Pardus on 2nd pc.
I just don't want to render this hd unbootable in case Primary hd fails.
I know, why not just install Pardus. Well Pardus is a minimal 9 gigs after updates(on my main pc) and room to run inside, 15% free disk space is mandatory but mi choice is about 30-35% free space, total about or around 20-25 gig total.
Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of room for Pardus on my primary hd and she's growing healthy, For my storage hd I'll settle for a small(1.6gig) fat32 i can hax and wack to give me lil or no probs.

But really, Does Pardus have any wonderful software to rejuvenate this comatose hd?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 19:22:41 PM by DANHO » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: