Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 03:09:35 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  DNS Server
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DNS Server  (Read 1381 times)
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2007, 02:57:49 AM »

I've registered 2 domain names(.com) that i want to affix to apache server under Pardus on my second pc.
 Can someone show me how to set up the "dns server package" and configure it to my domain names?

« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 19:55:32 PM by DANHO » Logged
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 19:48:34 PM »

The DNS server package thats located in the pardus repository;

Is it a dns server software to better connect and translate addresses  like
Domain names,ip numbers,static ip numbers, local ip numbers, and .com names?

« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 17:55:53 PM by DANHO » Logged
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 06:25:38 AM »

If I setup a dns server on Pardus, How would I then point my registered domain names to my pardus dns server? Would I then need a server name like......ns1.dnsexit.com
                                                                                                 ns2.dnsexit.com?
                                                                                                 or
                                                                                                 ns29.domaincontrol.com
                                                                                                 ns30.domaincontrol.com?

Caesar Tjalbo
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 15:00:31 PM »

The DNS server package thats located in the pardus repository;

Is it a dns server software to better connect and translate addresses  like
Domain names,ip numbers,static ip numbers, local ip numbers, and .com names?

That's it. It translates a IP address to a domain name. See if you can access your second pc over the internet, via the IP address of that pc. Then worry whether you want your own DNS server or a 3rd party service, the company that sold you your domain may offer DNS or there's something like DynDNS. A good resource for information are the forums on DNSStuff.com.
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 03:04:02 AM »

Yes Caesar,, I can access my web site(www.stonecuban.com) via location address bar on firefox using ip# or .com name from my other pc that hook up to verizon.

Currently my main pc's  isp is verizon
Server isp is timewarner (dynamic ip 72.134.97.88)
Both are hooked to thier seperate modems,
I'm disconnecting verizon soon.

ww.godaddy.com Left me dnsless. (tech support clearly stated that "I need a static ip to point my domain names")
Well actually, I can direct(point) my .com names to a static ip connection. A static ip at this point for me is unaffordable. I've only got to computers connected.

I got here a new linksys befsx41 that i disconnected to test my websites connectivity outside a network.
I haven't bought the service(dnsexit.com) as i'm still using their demo which works.
They are gonna get me for about $2o a year per domain for thier sevices.
I have a few registered .com names.
I did a lil research, opened my bind folders and stared at named,conf file with shivers.
Any and all help would sure be recieved with gratitude.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 23:35:44 PM by DANHO » Logged
Caesar Tjalbo
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 21:26:11 PM »

I don't have enough knowledge and experience, I'm sure you can google yourself but perhaps this link (+ links in the text) comes in handy (it's old, be sure to read the comments too):
Code:
http://lifehacker.com/software/web-publishing/geek-to-live--how-to-assign-a-domain-name-to-your-home-web-server-124804.php
(or check lifehacker, search on "geek dns server")
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 22:13:52 PM »

I should've had a V8.

Hey,Thanks Caesar. I should had thought about visiting LifeHackers.
 Gina T. is a Maestra at her posts.

So Far got good linksys customer support.
I Set up the LinkSys befsx41 's dmz port management and port triggering.

dnsexit.com is providing temporary demo services, as to pointing my domain name(.com) to my dmz generated dhcp ip address( LinkSys befsx41)(dmz host).

From linksys router login page, dmz port fowarding to internal ip address(network).

Where apache listens.

Before I give this a go later.

Can someone please tell me if accidently misconfiguring your bind's  named.conf and named.ca
files can result in any booting probs.

These bind conf files; They are basically? giving what directive?
I would really like to set up a dns server so that I won't need to $pay$ for dns services.

Thanks Again Caesar Cool

This here is good.  http://www.aboutdebian.com/dns.htm
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 00:53:40 AM by DANHO » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: