Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 10:48:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  [solved]PrinterProblem USB
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [solved]PrinterProblem USB  (Read 4407 times)
Talisien
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 19:30:57 PM »

I have to turn back: Printer just worked one time. After puting out the computer and tuning it one no Printjob will be done anymore.

So the bug still stands

Greatings

Wolfgang
jaideep_jdof
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 19:42:16 PM »

Hey this trick work for the latest package 1.2.11 also thanks.
Talisien
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 07:56:49 AM »

For all have same Problem in future times.

The solution is like this:

1. Uninstall foo2zjs from repro (KDE- Pisi-
    Programm uninstall).

2. Download old foo2zjs-0.0_20070413-4-4.pisi from repository

3. Install via console like this:
    sudo pisi it /home/...../foo2zjs-0.0_20070413-4-4.pisi

4. After that turn off the computer,
    plug in Printer,
    turn on Printer
    turn on computer.

Point 4 You have to do if You want to use the printer. If You turn on the computer star working and after I while You plug in the printer it will not work. ..... So if You have to do print- job:
First turn on printer then computer

Greatings

Wolfgang
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 09:08:34 AM »

Yesterday for the third or fourth time I ran into this annoying KDE<--->CUPS bug in that my printer that used to work fine, no longer reacts on print jobs (these stayed queued) and 127.0.0.1:631 gives a 404 not found error instead of CUPS config page.
The previous times I could only solve this problem by re-installing my whole Pardus OS.
However now I was up and running again and had already finetuned my Pardus, I do not want to re-install it agaian.

Is there a quick solution for this remaining bug?

I noticed after a Google search that it is a more general problem already since 2006!

KDEPrint is not mutually compatible with newer versions of CUPS and KDEPrint as a project is not maintained very intense anymore.

This then is a major issue for all KDE Linux distro's I guess.

Now "we" are working on Pardus 2008, wouldn't it be usefull to implement a TASMA configuration part based on the CUPS API itself instead of based at the KDEPrint thing? The latter lacks compatability.

Maybe a nice idea for the Google Summer of Code contest?

Building a new and compatible CUPS API interface for KDE distro's?

Read this: "Help! KDEPrint on KDE-3.x will break with CUPS-1.2 (or with 1.3 at the latest)!"

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 14:31:48 PM »

Got my printer working again without reinstalling Pardus.

I reinstalled CUPS from source (however perhaps this might not be necessary at all).

In the end I guess something went wrong with the permissions after entereing the KDE Print Server dialog concerning print server configuration.

After a chmod 777 of my /dev/usb/lp0 AND restarting CUPS (service cups restart) all printer problems were gone.
Code:
sudo chmod 777 /dev/usb/lp0
Code:
service cups restart

chmod 777 may be a bit too enthousiastic but the point is that the CUPS server seems to be denied permission to your usb printer device following some adjustments via Tasma--KDE Print service. That might also explain why print jobs kept on being queued in the print job list without being printed out by the printer.

For the moment I will stay as much away from teh KDE Print server application as possible, I will only configure my CUPS via the webinterface at lovcalhost:631.

Hopefully some pther poeple with USB printer problems van take advantage of this hint.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 14:40:42 PM by Michiel » Logged

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 15:22:47 PM »

The above mentioned workaround had to be reapeated every time you boot your system.

A more persistent solution for me was:

1) (the important thing)

cups 1.2.1-1 doesn't print to usb any more due to permission changes. Possible fixes are:

- set permissions of /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb to 700 (which will tell cupsd to run it as root)

thus, in the Konsole
Code:
sudo chmod 700 /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb

Perhaps you vae to reboot after this, I do not know that anymore.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: