Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 20:41:25 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Wish list
| | |-+  some whishes
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: some whishes  (Read 1431 times)
highenergy
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2007, 18:57:56 PM »

Hello,

I have a few opinions:

1- There should be download rate indicator at the pisi package manager. Sometimes it downloads packages but I can't see the download rate at the dialog box.

2- There should be "restore grub" or "Just install Grub" menu item in the livecd or install cd of pardus. Sometimes I crash MBR and there should be an easy way to restore damaged MBR sector by installing grub easily. I shouldn't have to reinstall all system again.

regards
H.E.

Acer Aspire 5520G-402G16, AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-58 1.9GHz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M G 128MB
Caesar Tjalbo
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 12:50:14 PM »

2- There should be "restore grub" or "Just install Grub" menu item in the livecd or install cd of pardus. Sometimes I crash MBR and there should be an easy way to restore damaged MBR sector by installing grub easily. I shouldn't have to reinstall all system again.
How do you crash the MBR? Do you do something to corrupt it or does it crash by itself? It seems strange to me, perhaps you experiment a lot and then things can go awry but it shouldn't just crash without a reason I think.
I don't know what's wrong but to me it doesn't seem a situation that needs to be catered for in the Pardus installation; there are special recovery distros to fix a system when something's broken.
jaideep_jdof
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 16:51:38 PM »

One generally expects that the distro you install also provide for the recovery and its not too much to expect, just a recovery shell.
Caesar Tjalbo
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 00:16:02 AM »

One generally expects that the distro you install also provide for the recovery and its not too much to expect, just a recovery shell.

I stand corrected. I must admit: I didn't bother with the Pardus LiveCD (or other LiveCDs) so I've no idea what it's (not) capable of but shell access would seem handy. Still don't know if that would fix the problem of highenergy. The only time when I messed up my MBR was when I tried my first Linux installation and went for a dual boot system without having RTFM, "just install GRUB" wasn't going to help me there. Grin
The existence of recovery distros made me assume it's not a normal thing for an ordinary distro.

I remember when I used the install CD there was an option to not write a GRUB entry, so I guess the opposite could be possible too.
highenergy
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 15:42:19 PM »

@Caesar Tjalbo:

My friend took my computer for 3 min. and he did crash MBR sector in that minute. He accidently select wrong (recover windoz) menu item from grup list. That's how things began.

there are special recovery distros to fix a system when something's broken.

If you look widoz-xp cd for example you will see recovery menu in there. It gives you shell (dos) box and you can give "fdisk /fixmbr" or something like that in order to recover MBR easily.

Pardus can also give such a easy tool too  Huh?

regards

Acer Aspire 5520G-402G16, AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-58 1.9GHz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M G 128MB
jnmbk
Pardus Developer
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 20:58:41 PM »

Pardus can also give such a easy tool too  Huh?
You can boot with Pardus CD and press c while you're still in grub. This will bring you grub console. And you can simply type (if you installed Pardus on partition #5):
root (hd0,4)
setup (hd0)
That would install grub on MBR using grub.conf from 5th partition of first hard disc...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 21:00:23 PM by jnmbk » Logged
highenergy
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 22:02:56 PM »

You can boot with Pardus CD and press c while you're still in grub. This will bring you grub console. And you can simply type (if you installed Pardus on partition #5):
root (hd0,4)
setup (hd0)
That would install grub on MBR using grub.conf from 5th partition of first hard disc...

Hmm, That was what I really looked forward to. Thanks for the solution.

Caesar Tjalbo
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 02:13:26 AM »

@Caesar Tjalbo:

My friend took my computer for 3 min. and he did crash MBR sector in that minute. He accidently select wrong (recover windoz) menu item from grup list. That's how things began.
Well, who needs enemies with friends like that, eh?  Wink I hope you had your system back up and running fast and easy.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: