Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 10:44:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Bugs
| | |-+  Tasma was removed and KMixer seems to be gone
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tasma was removed and KMixer seems to be gone  (Read 1639 times)
KimTjik
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2007, 12:02:18 PM »

Hallo!

Here I am again. I left Pardus running without X for some month. Yep, that's great fun and some nostalgia or flash-back of old times. I'll add specific information to another thread about X.

I made a system upgrade from command line yesterday, so now it's up-to-date with the new release. Here's some odd observations:
- Tasma was removed but could be reinstalled from the repository
- KMix is totally gone and I can't seem to find it in the repository either (I'm probably wrong here but after 15 minutes without being able to find it I gave up)
- Sound had to - that's nothing new really - be configured by "alsaconf" once more and then by "alsamixer" be adjusted

Nothing of real importance, but to get KMix back would be pretty nice.
KimTjik
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 20:46:59 PM »

I had 5 minutes to my disposal today, so I went to where the computer in question is and tried to get KMix back. From command line I tried to figure out how to reinstall kdemultimedia (KMix should be a part of that package), but couldn't find any switch for it. Upgrade doesn't work, because Pisi simply returns a message about the package already being installed.

There is some switch to force an upgrade, isn't there? No system is infallible, so I hope there is. Remove kdemultimedia will for sure result in removing a whole lot of dependencies, which I could do, but it's so unnecessary hence leaving that as a last option.
Kavani
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 21:16:33 PM »

That's odd.  Which repos do you have for PiSi?
jnmbk
Pardus Developer
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 02:34:44 AM »

From command line I tried to figure out how to reinstall kdemultimedia (KMix should be a part of that package), but couldn't find any switch for it. Upgrade doesn't work, because Pisi simply returns a message about the package already being installed.

That's sudo pisi it --reinstall kdemultimedia Also you can check package errors by sudo pisi check kdemultimedia
KimTjik
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 01:08:25 AM »

That's sudo pisi it --reinstall kdemultimedia Also you can check package errors by sudo pisi check kdemultimedia
Perfect! I'll try that next time I go "visit" the computer in question.

I got some manual for CLI use of Pisi - yes I prefer CLI - but that option you suggest wasn't there. Probably should have stayed a couple of more minutes, so I could check whether a man-page would have explained it.

About repos: just standard Pardus repos.
Kavani
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 04:20:34 AM »

That was just me being nosy..   Grin  Good luck!
KimTjik
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 19:42:01 PM »

The "it --reinstall" switch worked just fine. What this proves however is that there's a bug somewhere affecting an upgrade from 2007.2 to 2007.3. Not just KMix returned but other packages from the kdemultimedia package as well. No big deal, but it could be a show stopper for some.

Another thought: it surprises me to see that Skype still is of such a old version. Since 2007.3 is announced with fanfare I believe it would have been good to make sure such applications like Skype were up-to-date. The version of Skype in the repository has several flaws which has been corrected in later versions. Current Beta version 2.x, with support for webcams, works very well.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: