I've got a Samsung ML-1610 laser printer. I've downloaded a Linux driver from the Sammy-site. So now, there's a 'Unified Linux Driver .tar.gz' sitting on my desktop. The Samsung instructions read like gobbledegook to me. I double click the tar file, it unpacks and a window opens with a lot of lines in it, adding to my considerable confusion. Below are the Samsung instructions:
[Unified Linux Driver (Samsung ML-1610) Install Guide]
1. Make sure that you connect your machine to your computer.
Turn both the computer and the machine on.
2. When the Administrator Login window appears, type in root in the Login field
and enter the system password.
3. Download and extract the driver
[root@localhost root]#tar xzf [Downloaded File Name(XXXX.tar.gz)]
4. The driver will be extracted as ''cdroot'' folder in current path.
5. Execute installation program.
6. When the welcome screen appears, click ''Next'' and proceed installation.
I try typing what the Samsung instructions say, but get nowhere. I've tried adding a printer via Tasma, it just returns saying it can't install, because I don't have permission.
Can anyone explain, how to install the tar.gz driver for this printer please?
Just exactly what do I type? Do I type all the [ ] & ( ) brackets? Why can't things be written in understandable languages?