Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 06:46:48 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  Partitioning and installation
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Partitioning and installation  (Read 1091 times)
Thane
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2007, 18:57:42 PM »

My laptop is currently set up with Mepis & XP in a dual boot system.  My Mepis is installed on 3 partitions (root, home, and linux swap.)  Yesterday I installed Pardus as the sole operating system on an older desktop computer.  It appears that it installed to one large partition (with no linux swap, etc. designations.)  My question is this...can I install Pardus on my laptop to the 3 preexisting Mepis partitions?  My other question is this:  it looked like during the install on the older computer that grub can be installed to the mbr.  This is what I did with Mepis so that when the computer starts up I can choose between either XP or Mepis.  Is this same procedure also possible with Pardus?
Kavani
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 21:24:32 PM »

Yes.  When you get to the screen which asks how you want to partition the hard drive, choose to do it manually.  You're given 3 options.  Since you already have a swap, it'll recognize that.
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 21:21:00 PM »

My 160gig western digital sata gives me a limitation to 4 partitions and an extra extended logical drive. Pardus is on my 4rth partittion but rooted to (hd0,3) as its the third bootable system on this sata hard drive. To how many partitions, can be limited.

It installed itself to one large partition because you chose automatic partitioning.
Like Kevani stated, You should choose "manually partition" so that mephis and your xp don't get wiped by automatic partitioning.

The same procedure is also possible with Pardus.
Almost at end of Pardus install,you'll get grub and booting options. I always choose the first (default) option. Which lets the linux grub in Pardus display all my operating systems,xp64,xp,Pardus, and all other operating systems on sdb1(other sata hard drive).  You can always add cusom grub and boot splashes to menu.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 21:23:32 PM by DANHO » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: