Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 03:02:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  Which Web Browser?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Poll
Question: Which browser do you thing should be the official browser.
Opera   -3 (30%)
Firefox   -5 (50%)
Other, tell us which one.   -2 (20%)
Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: Which Web Browser?  (Read 4312 times)
jaideep_jdof
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2007, 19:59:46 PM »

I think firefox is over hiped, with every new release its becoming more and more blotted. It started of as a light weight browser but now look at its state it takes quite some time to startup and little more time to render the pages. Sad

But opera on the other hand take much lesser time to startup and to render a page and its much lighter. Smiley

Please vote and post your opinion.
pagenoare

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 21:03:40 PM »

if epiphany will be available in repo, i will used it, it's very fast browser. So, i vote 'other' and go compile epiphany Wink

Bandito
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 21:43:59 PM »

I have voted for opera and generaly share the same opinion about it as jaideep_jdof, however, flash doesn`t work as it should. I can`t watch videos on google video or youtube. Firefox doesn`t have that kind of problems. Despite flash problems (it says it is installed correcty) I still use Opera as my primary/default web browser.

regards bandito
jaideep_jdof
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 07:23:05 AM »

I have voted for opera and generaly share the same opinion about it as jaideep_jdof, however, flash doesn`t work as it should. I can`t watch videos on google video or youtube. Firefox doesn`t have that kind of problems. Despite flash problems (it says it is installed correcty) I still use Opera as my primary/default web browser.

regards bandito

All the flash and mplayer issues are resolved in opera 9.5, its in beta stage.
Bandito
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 11:59:40 AM »

I`m glad to hear that, ty for information  Grin
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 22:54:23 PM »

Is opera completely open source?

For freedom...
jnmbk
Pardus Developer
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 23:53:42 PM »

No, it isn't. It has an EULA here: http://www.opera.com/license/owal/index.dml
And I know a good place to ask yes-no questions Smiley http://www.hakia.com/search.aspx?q=Is+opera+open+source%3F
Caesar Tjalbo
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 14:20:55 PM »

Other: Konqueror

I discovered Firefox a few years ago and it opened my eyes as to what browsing can be compared to IE6 at the time (Opera is OK too). I was very happy FF is also available on Linux and it made the move a lot easier. After some time I started to find out more and more of the capabilities of Konqueror. From using Konqueror as just the file browser to using Konqueror as the all-round workhorse of my daily computing work took a few months but it gives me the same feeling as I got when I compare FF to IE: this is what browsing is about. Firefox is great but it's just another program; Konqueror is the most powerfull tool I have on my system.
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 19:29:57 PM »

No, it isn't. It has an EULA here: http://www.opera.com/license/owal/index.dml
And I know a good place to ask yes-no questions Smiley http://www.hakia.com/search.aspx?q=Is+opera+open+source%3F

I know what a search-engine is, but I just wanted to make a point, which you obvious missed completely. Opera is not open source, its just a teaser for the other commercial products they sell. For this reason I prefer an open source product as Firefox.

For freedom...
jnmbk
Pardus Developer
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 20:39:17 PM »

I know what a search-engine is, but I just wanted to make a point, which you obvious missed completely.
Lips Sealed
Opera is not open source, its just a teaser for the other commercial products they sell. For this reason I prefer an open source product as Firefox.
+1  Grin
jaideep_jdof
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 16:09:43 PM »

Why are we discussing about licensing. If GPL is what we should follow then why is pardus providing us with flash, mp3 plugin , and there codecs out of the box.

The discussion should be about which one of these browsers has more features, fastest speed and simplicity and also the smallest package size.

Firefox is trying to become IE, forgetting there primary objective that to be faster,securer and light.
jnmbk
Pardus Developer
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 19:41:21 PM »

Firefox is different, it has more capabilities than any other browser. One can easily install variety of useful addons from its web site, and most of those growing number of addons are developed by the community. I don't care if it uses more system resources, it does the job in the way user wants... Other non-GPL apps & codecs usually don't have such a satisfying alternative.
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 23:23:18 PM »

jaideep_jdof:
Pardus is using the closed source codecs because there are no open alternatives. Most music files are in the closed MP3 format, instead of the (better) open OGG format.
But Pardus is using the open Xvid coded instead of the closed DivX.
The only way to get a realy open software structure is when people would choose for programs with available source codes.
So I to my opion a person should be critical about which licence comes with the program, this way more and more parts of Pardus will be opened up in time.
Before this moment de Pardus devs have choosen for a full functional system, which does not imply that they choose for a partly closed source disto.
So firefox or opera? As with food I always like to see on the box what's in it, and there are no ingredients mentioned for Opera.

For freedom...
jaideep_jdof
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 07:10:26 AM »

Willem your point is valid, thanks for this point of view.
Caesar Tjalbo
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 10:41:49 AM »

The discussion should be about which one of these browsers has more features, fastest speed and simplicity and also the smallest package size.
Ideally, a browser has all of the above but that's not realistic. More features means larger size or in the case of FF 3rd party extensions. Also consider what you ask from a browser: support for HTML, CSS, plug-ins, JavaScript, etc., not to mention all sorts of security features. I mean, there should be some sort of weighted classification since it kind of depends whether you value features over security or bug patch time, for example. It comes down to taste and priorities. What do you choose if a bloated app does a better job of rendering your favorite site than a mean and lean browser?

What's packagesize really? I knew this one guy who used FF without tabs and extenions, I think he was unique in that in the whole universe because everyone else I know has at least some extensions installed, up to a few dozen. Same with Konqueror; there's so much integration with other KDE aspects and plugins/ extensions that it's hard to say what's really Konqueror and what's added to the functionality with all sorts of KIO stuff. Or like IE6 on Windows XP (don't know about IE7 or Vista, suspect it's still the same); IE was really just a front for deeper embedded functionality that was also shared by automatic updates and the mail apps.

It makes it impossible to compare browsers since it's very much a matter of taste. Is Konqueror bloated as a webbrowser? Perhaps but do you have an app that let's you view a website and your local filesystem in a splitscreen? Wait, I'll split once more to upload a screenshot  Grin

(left: this reply being typed, right top: a random directory, right bottom: the site I uploaded the screenshot to)
jnmbk wrote "Firefox is different, it has more capabilities than any other browser." Maybe but Konqueror doesn't stop at being a browser, it's a mediaplayer and fileviewer too, for example. That makes them incomparable, more so with a browser with even less features.

Not too long ago I had a discussion with a friend who said he found Konqueror too hard to configure. Fair enough except he forgot to mention he knows his way around about:config blindly in FF, I fail to see how that's an easy way to configure things. Opera (7 or 8 I think, can't remember) was pretty easy to configure, I believe, because there wasn't much you could configure (I may be completely wrong here, it's been a while since I last looked at Opera). The Opera widgets were incredibly cute and all but compared to FF extensions they don't seem really usefull. I mean, Opera might be great as the basic app but if you have an essential extension which is in FF only, Opera just isn't good enough for you. With that guy I mentioned before, who used FF without extensions and tabs, we've convinced him that IE6 was perfectly suited for him and for all I know he's still using it happily.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 10:44:46 AM by Caesar Tjalbo » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: