Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 00:12:18 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  The Pub
| | |-+  Pardus is awesome
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pardus is awesome  (Read 2620 times)
Caesar Tjalbo
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2007, 15:03:33 PM »

I've just assembled a new PC. The Pardus 2007.2 CD I had lying around got me a working OS pretty fast, of course updating/ installing new software took a bit longer. Nvidia kernel installation with the GUI package manager went OK, I had to edit xorg.conf for the right resolution (which I also had to do on my old box). Otherwise flawless and out-of-the box experience. Happy me.

This could have been the end of the story if it wasn't for my curiosity. I'm a bit worried I'm missing out on something fantastic so I'm trying other distros occasionally. My experiences sofar:
- Fedora (6 & 7): excellent, non-free stuff not included but pretty easy to install
- Slackware (10 or 11): OK but a bit tedious to go through the installation
- Kubuntu (6.? & 7.10): minor glitches and annoyances, overall pretty good
- OpenSuSE 10.3: long installation process, EULAs, error with X so result was command line only
- Arch (Don't Panic 2007.08.01): difficult, ended with command line and no clue how to proceed (my fault, it's intended for more experienced users, it never promised an easy GUI unlike OpenSuSE)
- Ark (2007.1): boot problem after installation
- CentOS (4): excellent, sound driver problem but probably due to weird soundcard (OEM Soundblaster)
- CentOS (5): hung on formatting
- Mandriva (One 2008): green screen, black screen, nothing more. CD-R problem, the DVD installation is supposed to be OK.

Dear Pardus developers: please continue what you're doing because you're doing things very good! IMHO Pardus is on equal footing with Fedora and beats every other distro I've tried.
*bows in respect and takes hat off*
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 19:32:36 PM »

I completely agree to this!

For freedom...
SakJur
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 18:06:09 PM »

Pardus rules  Grin

Zinden
Pardus Master

www.Pardus-linux.se

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 19:02:50 PM »

Agree  Cool

Just gonna learn how to compile a new kernel now

TSP
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 15:24:11 PM »

Agree  Cool

Just gonna learn how to compile a new kernel now

Did you know how to do it, now? I compile kernels in all the distros i used but i can't find a howto for Pardus..
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 14:13:00 PM by TSP » Logged
Caesar Tjalbo
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 12:40:26 PM »

A small succes story:

My parents are pretty computer il-literate. My dad uses his computer quite often and has some understanding of what he's doing and manages to do a few different kinds of tasks. My mum has no clue at all and doesn't want to know either. She's learned how to use an auction site and she knows how to use email but they're 'tricks', performed without understanding what she's doing.

On my dad's PC with Windows XP, he's had a couple of weird problems lately when booting: his BIOS accused him of making mistakes when overclocking. My dad doesn't know what overclocking is, or a BIOS for that matter. None of these problems were bad enough to take more than a single key-stroke to fix until all on a sudden the computer refused to boot into Windows all together. Windows would load, BSOD and the machine would try to boot again.

It's uncertain what caused this. It may have something to do with my mum shutting down the computer via the start menu, making sure the computer was off by pressing the on button and then pressing the on button again, immediately.
My dad took his pc away for repairs. Then he rememberred I have a spare P4 laying around, which he could borrow of course.

I made a fresh install of Pardus for him. He's quite a different user than I am: he uses local mail, has a printer, uses office software. So, I'm new to most of the technology involved and it took a bit of fiddling to get it all working, but I got it all working. KMail replaces Outlook, his printer / scanner works and sofar most (not all) of his documents appeared nicely in OOo. I failed to get his VPN program working: there's a Linux client but we've no documentation of how to connect (other than 'install Citrix client for Windows by running custom script, accept license, call helpdesk when there's a problem'. Helpdesk borked on the mention of the name Linux.)

He gets his own PC back on wednesday, with Windows XP and MS Office re-installed. It's OK, he's seen the power of Free Software and once he's back on MS' turf I no longer have to function as helpdesk. Smiley

The story here is that I tried a Linux distribution on a sceptic and unwilling person and I've not been let down: it performed admirably and the test-victim hasn't been able to find a serious flaw with it, despite trying. He repeatedly called it "difficult" but every time I asked him to think about what he was doing or I made him do the same thing on his Windows laptop: nothing proved to be exceptionally difficult. That'll make him think the next time he takes a couple of hundred Euros to the shop for his OS or office suite.
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 20:01:28 PM »

Amen.

I can't believe the majority of people would pay more for an operating system simply because they trust it/dont know any better.

You should try Ubuntu, its the one unique Linux experience you are missing. Its far inferior to Pardus, but its worth trying out to complete your pallette Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: