Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 04:04:38 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  Install on Lenovo R60
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Install on Lenovo R60  (Read 1644 times)
Fox
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2007, 23:05:33 PM »

Hello,

yesterday I installed Pardus on my R60 and it was a smooth install, everything worked as it should. After a reboot I logged in with my user with administrator rights and did some customizing of the user interface, WLAN etc. After this I did some browsing on the Internet and shutdown my laptop. Today I tried to startup Pardus and got an error message "load error" and the computer didn't go any further. As I'm not that experienced with Linux I decided to reinstall Pardus. This install was without any problems, like the first time. After the install I rebooted and could login, after going through the Kaptan program I rebooted and sure enough I got that "load error" message again.  Undecided

The way I installed Grub is non-standard, I installed it on the Pardus partition, because I already have a boot manager. This setup worked fine with Pardus 2007.1 on my old laptop. How can I check if Grub is working correctly?

Frank
Fox
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 20:50:31 PM »

Hello,

I was thinking, can it be that the Pardus partition is >1024 cylinders of the disk?

Thanks,
Frank
Kavani
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 23:16:04 PM »

That's odd.  By any chance are you updating?  There have been some hiccups with grub changing the update.    If you're getting to the grub menu, I'd say it's working, but something is amiss.  Other than trying to put your boot entry on your other boot manager, or using grub entirely, I wish I could be more help.
Fox
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 21:07:49 PM »

Hello Kavani,

it's sure odd. I tried a third time to install Pardus. First I moved all my data drives to the end of the hard disk and made a new partition for Pardus. I installed Padus again, but I ran into the same problem. I guess something goes wrong when you install Pardus on a logical partition with the bootloader on the same partition. I can't use a primary partition, because there are already three of them on the drive.

Maybe it works as you suggested, but I have to think about it. I like my current bootmanager, it is in the MBR and if something goes wrong reinstall it is easy. If I use Grub and something goes wrong with my Linux partition I'm unable to start from my other partitions without reinstalling Linux.

Frank
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 21:26:33 PM by Fox » Logged
Kavani
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 13:57:42 PM »

I think you can install Pardus without installing GRUB.  But you'll need to know which partition it boots from.  I'm sorry I can't be more help.
Fox
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »

Hi Kavani

Something is broken in 2007.3. I tried to install Pardus on a primary partition, that didn't work. Then I installed it without grub as you suggested, no success. I ended up installing Pardus 2007.1 and upgrading it to 2007.3 level. That worked like it should (with grub in the Pardus partition). I have a working installation now, so I can finally start using Linux and learn how to use it.  Grin

Frank
Kavani
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 00:32:18 AM »

Glad you figured it out!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: