Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 13:15:51 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Wish list
| | |-+  Deluge torrent client
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Deluge torrent client  (Read 1484 times)
Bandito
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2007, 10:39:41 AM »

Lately, there has been a lot of talking/ writing about Deluge torrent client. It is the first torrent client that allows completely anonymous browsing through using the TOR (the onion router). More info about this client can be found at deluge home page. Additional infos are available at Slashdot or at Linux.com

Any comments, experiences or thoughts are most welcome.

Happy and peaceful holidays to everyone,

Regards, bandito
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 10:57:10 AM by Bandito » Logged
shudde

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 11:45:52 AM »

Urmmm my understanding was that Deluge had setup an ad-supported proxy server with a whitelist... it's got nada to do with TOR. You can use the browser in their torrent client to go to whitelisted torrent sites and download torrent files only.

You can Torify a few bittorrent clients already... there's just very little point. Tor is far too slow to support even the most patient of BT users.

Edit: Laughed when I saw your nick. Thought it said Bandido.

http://torrentfreak.com/extradited-warez-leader-pleads-guilty-faces-10-years-in-prison/
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 12:01:33 PM by shudde » Logged
Bandito
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 13:02:57 PM »

Heres the explanation about the whole "fuss" with deluge

Also, the summary is highly misleading. This is not a bittorrent-based replacement for TOR as one might conclude from the summary. The browser is merely designed to conceal the IPs of people surfing websites hosting torrents by going through a proxy. You also see ads while using the service. I wonder how long it will take ISPs with an anti-bittorrent agenda to block their proxies...

Quoting TFA's FAQ:

Can we use the internal browser to surf any site?

No. This is a very touchy subject, so I want to be very clear. Our proxy servers have a whitelist of bittorrent-related sites (trackers, index sites, etc), which it allows you to visit.

Why are there ads? Are you turning evil? This is free software!

This is free software, however, our proxy servers (which anonymizies the browsing) costs us very real dollars.

I can't download any files. What is that about?

To prevent abuse, Deluge's internal browser only allows you to download bittorrent files..

@shudde: Whats with the whole Bandido thing, care to fill me in?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: