Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 02:47:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  wifi broadcom support - findings, hopefully this helps someone
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: wifi broadcom support - findings, hopefully this helps someone  (Read 1115 times)
baboo
« on: January 10, 2008, 16:08:46 PM »

I have a HP notebook that has Pardus installed on it. It has the BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI for wireless. In the past releases of Pardus I made this work by installing the windows driver using wine and ndiswrapper. You can find past posts that I have made telling the forum how to make it work.

This method worked fine. Never dropped connectivity. Then I upgraded to the latest release. That is when the problems started.

The new implementation of networkmanager is the cause of the problems. Here are the salient points:

Good: networkmanager auto discovers broadcom card and installs the support for it. No longer do I have to install wine and ndiswrapper to make it work.

Bad: The network connection will start to slow down and then drop connectivity. When I try to re-enable the connection I get authentication failed. Sometimes if I try a couple of times it will re-connect. Most times though it will not even find the Access Point. I am forced to reboot and then it works, and the cycle starts all over again.

So, I experimented  by using a linksys usb wifi card. The networkmanager does not see this card initially. I installed the driver by using wine and ndiswrapper and then networkmanager sees it. I use networkmanger to configure the card and everything works. It never drops the connection and no problems. Runs very fast.

For those of you out there, that may be having similar problems, I hope this post helps.

I did another pisi upgrade 7 days ago and now the broadcom card is working better. Speed has improved and it doesn't drop the connection as frequently. But it does drop the connection enough to still be aggravating.

But there is progress.  Smiley
Archdevil
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 22:50:17 PM »

Just installed Pardus 2008.1 with the BCM94311MCG wireless card.
The card is configured automagically, but it seems it lacks speed.
Does anyone have the same experience, or suggestions on how to improve the speed?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 22:56:58 PM by Archdevil » Logged
Mourningdove
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 04:29:07 AM »

I have the same card, and it seems to work fine for me. I was just down to the library tonight and had it on. In fact, Pardus was quicker to find and connect to the various WiFi networks than I'm used to. I don't do a lot of heavy video or gaming, though, and if you're doing that, maybe some limitations are showing up that I wouldn't see.

Do you have access to another wireless network, maybe at a library or Internet cafe, to see if you get the same results there?

Sorry this probably isn't a lot of help to you, but it's all I can think of for now.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: