Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 12:42:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  News & Announcements
| | |-+  who wants information about pardus 2008
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: who wants information about pardus 2008  (Read 13309 times)
Bahri16
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2008, 00:35:43 AM »

found this

http://tr.pardus-wiki.org/Yol_Haritas%C4%B1:Pardus-2008

The world is not digital - the world is an analog swoosh
jnmbk
Pardus Developer
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 04:32:20 AM »

And this Smiley http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Pardus:Pardus-2008_Roadmap
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 21:57:22 PM »

In the dutch forum following a brief discussion about Pardus 2008 and the raodmap we have come to the assumption that the total 2008 roadmap is a lot of work.

Wouldn't it be better to return to just version numbers (like most distro's) instead of using the year 2007 or 2008? The developers, by using the yearnumbers, create an (probably) inconvenient deadline for themselves, i.e. Pardus 2008, when that is released at the end of the year, the name Pardus 2008 is already obsolete after a short time (then we are in 2009).

In the end Pardus started with Pardus 1.0

The suggestion from the dutch side therefore would be to return to simple version numbers (thereby lowering the "time pressure" om the developers).

Pardus 3.0 or so, is ok, isn't it?

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 23:10:57 PM »

I disagree. I just love year-based distribution denominations. It's far more readable for the public.

"Pardus 3.0" is not ok for me, because it implicitly says : "Pardus is for geeks, not real people", as real people don't know about major numbers and minor numbers. Moreover, it soon tends to become much more complicated, like "3.1", "3.1.1", "3.1.2rc1", and so on.
To have Pardus 2007 in year 2008 is not a big deal as far as I am concerned, and yes, it puts pressure on developpers, but that's good pressure Smiley
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 23:15:28 PM by PhiX » Logged

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 08:47:35 AM »

Mmm..the point your making is that in fact the version number can be nonsense  just for redabaility for the great public..
You don't really care if in 2008 a "Pardus 2007" comes out.
In that case  I do not see the difference with naming it Pardus 3 or so (sub-versions are not necessary).

What  is the difference between Pardus 2005 or Pardus 3 or whatever?

The yearnumber is rather misleading then isn't it?

Obviously in the end it is all a matter of personal taste, one person prefers it like this, another person prefers it like that, I'll await the developers' choice then.

IMO It's still worth thinking about this topic.....

PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 19:04:26 PM »

What  is the difference between Pardus 2005 or Pardus 3 or whatever?

"Pardus 2005" adds the production year information over "Pardus 3". Can you tell which year Debian 2.2 was published ? I can't remember exactly, although I used it.
Year information is valuable for the user, because he knows where he stands when he uses Pardus 2009, for example.

"Pardus 3" , may be ok, but "Pardus 11" ? "Pardus 17" ?
Mandrake (now Mandriva) adopted year-numbers before Mandrake 10, because "Mandrake 10" is not as appealing as "Mandriva 2005".
Version-number denomination sucks because it's not sustainable in the long run.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 19:10:18 PM by PhiX » Logged

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 19:47:39 PM »

I must admit you come with good arguments.

However, there are also lots of people including me who really do not look back and only look forward and really aren't interested in which year exactly an previous version number was released (what's the sense of knowing that?)

I do not bother to know in which year windows 3.1 was released.

Also, still the counter-argument remains that a yearnumber can also be misleading.

In fact the real problem I guess is that most Linux distributions come with new releases so often  Cheesy Cheesy

I agree with you that Pardus 11 or Pardus 17 is also not a very attractive way of naming the releases.

Well, in the end I guess I must leave this issue as it is and stop making a point of it. (Unless other people come with additional arguments pro or contra yearnumbers)

SakJur
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 22:51:15 PM »

Ubuntu 7.10
Ubuntu October 2007...
Simple, yearbased

azra
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 20:50:18 PM »

Any updates since 26th February?
The site does not seem to be updated regularly? And the English wiki version is even less up to date.
Just because Pardus is now falling down the ranking at Distrowatch, maybe an announcement about the proposed release date should be made?
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 20:14:12 PM »

There is another ranking where all of you could make the difference. It's the ranking of hardware4linux.info.
There is 497 members on this forum and there is only 10 Pardus 2007.3 PCs and 8 Pardus 2007.2 declared !

Let's make Pardus n°1 !

thecdn
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 13:14:36 PM »

If both of those pages are referring to the progress of Pardus 2008 why does the Turkish one show 65% progress and the English one 46%?

Is there any indication anywhere of when an iso for Pardus 2008, an alpha or beta or anything, will be available?

I blew away my pardus partition on the weekend while I was playing with other stuff and I'm debating whether to reinstall 2007.3 or wait for something from 2008.
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 21:34:23 PM »

If both of those pages are referring to the progress of Pardus 2008 why does the Turkish one show 65% progress and the English one 46%?

Because no one has updated this english wiki page yet. Anybody can do it.

Is there any indication anywhere of when an iso for Pardus 2008, an alpha or beta or anything, will be available?

There is no fixed release date for Pardus 2008. It may be released in june, so I think you should reinstall Pardus 2007.3 and make the updates. Unfortunately, there is no "Pardus 2007.3 SP1" to avoid downloading several hundreds Mb of updates.

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 18:11:39 PM »

Which kernel version shall be used to build Pardus 2008?

Eren.Turkay
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 20:08:22 PM »

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 22:17:44 PM »

Thank you, does that mean that DVB support will be improved considerably?
At this time I can by no means get my Freecom DVB-T USB-stick working in Pardus, I cannot install a DVB device at all (so far I did not succed with linuxtv/Video4Linux applications as well in part because these applications themselves develop and appear to demand a more recent kernel version  than the 2.6.18-8 currently in use by Pardus). The other part-installing a specific driver module for my Freecom stick once the DVB device is created, is also apparently impossible because of the current kernel version.

In the turkish wiki there are some DVB-S (Skystar) cards installation hints but no specific wiki on setting up a DVB device in general and help for specific DVB-T receivers.

I hope Pardus will implement this "DVB part" as well in future versions...!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: