Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 20:27:25 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Introduce yourself
| | |-+  Hello, and congratulations from the United Kingdom
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello, and congratulations from the United Kingdom  (Read 2191 times)
tonyzbj42
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2008, 15:38:34 PM »

Hi, I'm Tony from Duxford in the United Kingdom, and it's very nice to meet you all.

I have just downloaded Pardus 2008, and after roughly two years trying many different Linux operating systems, I have finally found the Distro for me. It is quite beyond me why Pardus is not higher on the Distrowatch charts, as it meets all of my computing needs. I have tried most Distributions, Ubuntu, Mint, Suse, and many many more, and although it has taken me a long time, I am very happy and settled now.

Just in case people browsing the forum is wondering about compatibility with their system, Pardus is working well here with a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop (no webcam on my model), Samsung ML-2010R laser printer, HP Scanjet 3400C scanner, and desktop PC: Asus P1 Pundit AMD 1600 with NVidia intregrated graphics card, with Samsung SyncMaster 913N monitor, Samsung ML-1510 laser printer.

I wish the developers and community continued success, and offer my thanks to you all for a very fine operating system.
Andreas
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 15:42:59 PM »

Hello Tony,

welcome here in the community and thanks for your your nice words.  Smiley

Greetings
Andreas
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 15:52:13 PM by Andreas » Logged
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 18:48:15 PM »

Hi Tony,
welcome, it is indeed weird why a distro which has everything to be called a complete OS does not rank in the Distrowatch list. I also mailed several times to the UK magazine Linux Format who mailed back that they merely focus on Suse and Ubuntu, so as long as most users only focus on the big commercial initiatives Pardus will probably never become a big player. Good to have you hear, and help to spread the word!!

For freedom...
tonyzbj42
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 21:15:32 PM »

Hi Willem,

Many thanks for the warm welcome, and below is a copy of the email I have written to Linux Format magazine, of which I am a subscriber.
I hope I have covered most of what the happy users of Pardus are feeling.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir,

With over 500 Linux-based distributions, I can understand the dilemma Linux Format has keeping up with all that goes on in the Linux world each month. Then, to cap it all, there is the problem of keeping the purists (who believe Linux needs to keep strictly to the non-proprietary rules) happy. The dawning of fully-featured, complete Linux desktops that enable newcomers to use their chosen system in the same way they enjoyed Windows out of the box from the word go will no doubt add fuel to the debate.

The problem is, newcomers to Linux expect to be able to play their MP3s, expect Flash and other components to work without problems; to be able to compete on level terms with their old operating system, much to the potential horror of long-standing Linux users. It doesn't help either that different countries have different laws regarding proprietary software. All this makes for a hard life for editors when trying to keep everyone happy, and you are likely to get flak from all sides.

However hard you try, you can not please everyone, so a balance must be struck and the choice of distribution (which Linux is all about) given to the user for them to make their decision.

With the popularity of Linux Mint, DreamLinux, Sabayon, Ubuntu and others, all of whom have a willingness to cater for as many different users as possible, I would very much like to add another Distribution to the list of fully-featured, complete desktop systems, which, in my view, gives many leading makers a good run for their money, Pardus 2008, which was released on the 27th of June, is funded and developed by the Scientific & Technological Research Council of Turkey, but with many other languages, including English GB available. It is, quite frankly, the best Linux I have had the pleasure to use on my two home PCs and one laptop.

Pardus has a range of unique features, such as Mudur, a start-up framework of Pardus to speed up the boot process, and PiSi, an efficient package management system with a user-friendly graphical interface, and although not available as a live CD (it is install-only at this present time), comes with almost all of the codecs and software to be able to work straight out of the box, and gives much for purists to throw a wobbly about, but for newcomers, it is a breath of fresh air. Why it is so low in the Distrowatch top 100 is quite beyond me, and the only reason I can see for this is the concentration on the top five or so, which is a little unfair in my eyes.

I am sure if you'd like to do a review of this excellent Linux distro, there would be many interested readers, and in so much that Linux isn't Windows, Pardus isn't quite like any other Linux I have tried (and I've tried and used most - don't we all)?!

Damn it, if you don't, I'll do it myself. Then you'll be in a REAL muddle!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[disclaimer] I have no affiliation with, or to, Pardus Linux, other than being a highly satisfied user of the operating system, and have received no money from anyone for this letter, which has been exclusively written for Linux Format magazine.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the best for a fine magazine, and the dawning of a new era of computing.

Tony Smith,
Duxford, Cambridge
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 22:27:06 PM »

Welcome tonyzbj42 !

About your hardware : feel free to fill the wiki at http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Hardware:Contents

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 22:44:32 PM »

Jeez Tony, I am realy impressed. First because your letter is so well written  Wink
Second because I think you grasp the same feeling as we all have as Pardus users!
Let us know if or when you get a reply!!

For freedom...
tuxedup
Pardus Developer
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 15:12:59 PM »

Hello Tony,

Welcome from a fellow Brit.

tonyzbj42
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 13:11:45 PM »

Hello Micheal,

I wonder how many British people use Pardus? Make yourselves known Grin

Good to know I'm not here on my own.

All the best,

Tony (Duxford, UK)
LinuxFanatic
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 16:16:00 PM »

Hi tonyzbj42,

welcome to the Pardus communities, my friend  Grin

Hope, you'll have a lot fun with Pardus Linux.

Best regards from Austria,
Gürkan Smiley

German Pardus Linux Communtiy --> www.PardusUser.de
tuxedup
Pardus Developer
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 13:18:54 PM »

Hello Micheal,

I wonder how many British people use Pardus? Make yourselves known Grin

Good to know I'm not here on my own.

All the best,

Tony (Duxford, UK)

No Idea, but I know there are not that many non-turkish devs Smiley

Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 15:08:46 PM »

I'm not British per se (citizenship, Romanian origin), but I am a Pardus developer living In the UK (^Scotland^ lol).
Welcome to Pardus Tongue

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 21:13:48 PM »

A big welcome, Tony!  And please don't be shy!  Pardus has been the big surprise of the year for me in terms of using my computer.  It makes it fun and easy!  I'm hoping more parents will let their children use it as it has a great desktop look that I think even children would find enjoyable to explore.

Regards,
Lisa Marie
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: