Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 12:48:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Bugs
| | |-+  Not a bug (i think ......) kernel update and GRUB issue
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not a bug (i think ......) kernel update and GRUB issue  (Read 1751 times)
werewolf

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2008, 19:06:08 PM »

Hi all!
In the last period that i've been using and updating Pardus 2007.3, i've noticed that after a kernel upgrade, that new entry was added in my menu.lst GRUB file.
 Let's say that i'm upgrading from 2.6.18.8.86 release 86 build 90 to the last build 99. So the kernel filename will be kernel-2.6.18.8.86 in both cases.
  And let's suppose that we're doing more than one upgrade per release , you'll get having a long GRUB select list. (i know ..... edit menu.lst)
   Just wanted to point it....
Bye!
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 23:03:42 PM »

I agree, it could definitly be cleaner by automatically erasing the old grub entries when there is more than two !

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
azra
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 00:23:32 AM »

Just letting you know, this still happens today after a kernel upgrade.
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 01:04:55 AM »

It has nothing to do with the kernel it self, as this something from grub. Lets just wait for what Pardus 2008 will do.

For freedom...
Eren.Turkay
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 18:08:47 PM »

Hi all!
In the last period that i've been using and updating Pardus 2007.3, i've noticed that after a kernel upgrade, that new entry was added in my menu.lst GRUB file.
 Let's say that i'm upgrading from 2.6.18.8.86 release 86 build 90 to the last build 99. So the kernel filename will be kernel-2.6.18.8.86 in both cases.
  And let's suppose that we're doing more than one upgrade per release , you'll get having a long GRUB select list. (i know ..... edit menu.lst)
   Just wanted to point it....
Bye!

It's a really nice feature that Pardus offers to its users. It's not a bug, really Smiley When you update your kernel, say different version, you have to update your grub entry to use the latest kernel. Pardus automates it, after updating kernel, new kernel entry is automatically added to grub.
LinuxFanatic
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 22:37:58 PM »

It's a really nice feature that Pardus offers to its users. It's not a bug, really Smiley When you update your kernel, say different version, you have to update your grub entry to use the latest kernel. Pardus automates it, after updating kernel, new kernel entry is automatically added to grub.

Thats true, other modern Linux operating systems like PCLinuxOS, xbuntu's, Suse etc. does it too. You can trust them, what Eren.Turkay says - it can not be a bug.

German Pardus Linux Communtiy --> www.PardusUser.de
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: