Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 06:50:04 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  permissions with usb flash stick
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: permissions with usb flash stick  (Read 4034 times)
msullivan
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 19:15:33 PM »

In almost 10 years of experience with linux,  I've never had trouble mounting and using a variety of file systems.  I curently have a 120 GB usb storage drive with vfat formatting plugged into my desktop,  and it works perfectly--reading,  writing and executing.  If you right click on the icon for your mounted flash drive and select "Properties" it should bring up a window with four different headings,  "General,  Permissions,  Meta Info,  and Mounting."  Select "Mounting" and see if the checkbox at the top marked,  "Read Only" is checked.  Mine isn't,  but maybe yours is and that might be the reason your Flash Drive is unavailable for writing files.  I can't think of anything else that could be the problem.

Marty
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 16:11:15 PM »

Could it be that your usb-stick for some reason gets mounted read-only under Pardus?

What is the output of the mount command when given at the command line?
glas
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2007, 22:06:52 PM »

I started this post because I couldn't get write permission for my usb flash stick.

I gave up and forgot about it.

I later used it without problem - same stick, same laptop. same Pardus.

I only remembered afterwards that I had a problem writing to it previously.

As far as I'm aware nothing changed and I don't have a clue as to why it just started co-operating with me.
Kavani
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 11:30:29 AM »

i've got this similar problem with files copied off a cd.  If it happens again after copying the files to your hard drive, start konsole and become root then:

chown yourusername filenamein.question
chgrp users filenamein.question

users is the default group for Pardus

Glad to see it resolved itself though!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: