Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 20:27:53 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Wish list
| | |-+  The Wubi concept
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Wubi concept  (Read 855 times)
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2008, 14:05:24 PM »

I like the recently presented Wubi concept for encouraging poeple running MS Windows to give Linux (in this wubi case ubuntu linux) a try without having to deal with partitioning and without the use of virtualbox like software.

For the development and wider spread of Pardus this might be a nice idea to develop for the Pardus distro as well.

That would then result in the Wpai  Grin windows pardus installer...

Anyway I like the concept.

==============

You can install and run Ubuntu from within Windows without any risk of accidentally deleting your existing programs and files by using Wubi, an unofficial Ubuntu installer for Windows users. Unlike UNetbootin, which installs Linux on a hard disk partition, Wubi works by installing Ubuntu within a file stored on your Windows drive, and adding itself to the Windows boot.ini file to allow you to choose between Windows and Linux at boot time.

Wubi is based on Ubuntu 8.04 Long Term Support (LTS), which will be released this April. Both Wubi and Ubuntu 8.04 are available now in stable beta versions.

You can install Wubi by downloading Ubuntu 8.04, burning it to a CD-ROM, and running the installer included on disc, or you can download the 10MB Wubi installer and run it. That approach may be a little slower, as Wubi has to download the installation files it needs over the Internet, rather than from a local CD image.

Wubi requires a system with a processor of at least 1GHz, at least 256MB of RAM, Windows 98 or newer (although Windows 2000 and above is recommended), and a minimum of 4GB of free disk space. For my test, I used an Acer Aspire 5315 laptop equipped with an Intel Celeron M 540 processor, 2GB of RAM, a 160GB hard drive, and Windows Vista Home Basic.

You install and remove Wubi the same way you work with any other Windows application, which is great if you're new to Linux and aren't yet comfortable with partitioning or dual booting.

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
azra
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 20:00:36 PM »

I agree.
I mentioned the Wubi thing to a colleague today, and he is going to try over the week end now.
It would be cool if we had it too.
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 10:36:20 AM »

Any news regarding the announced efforts to give this a try porting to Pardus?

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: