Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 09:18:31 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Software
| | |-+  [solved] Empty folder list in KMail
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [solved] Empty folder list in KMail  (Read 2526 times)
LinuxFanatic
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« on: April 22, 2008, 01:40:54 AM »

Hello altogether,

I'm using Pardus since ~ two weeks. It is a very good Linux System, I'm very impressed about Pardus Linux.
Currently it is my productively main OS, but I'm also using my old Linux "PCLinuxOS" (www.pclinuxos.de) too - I like both.

KMail is my main E-Mail client, but at the moment I have got trouble with the folder-list in the KMail window (see screenshot).
I tried to reinstall the "kdepim" package (for kmail, kontact, and so on ...), but I can't find any package named "kdepim" or "kde-pim".

Does someone have any idea, how to solve it?

With best regards
Gürkan

* Bildschirmphoto4.png (93.57 KB, 1280x800 - viewed 52 times.)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 00:49:50 AM by LinuxFanatic » Logged

German Pardus Linux Communtiy --> www.PardusUser.de
ilanesh
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 12:28:57 PM »

why kmail? this is the worsest one, why not thunderbird, it works out of the box and is the easiest to use.
It seems some people like just always only the difficult once and theo nce who don`t work well, there is always an alternative who works ots more better.
pclos has almost nothing in their repo, its just almost empty and still haven`t addet anything, also lots of hardware and software problems.
Eren.Turkay
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 18:03:41 PM »

KMail is quite a good e-mail client Smiley

I don't know why you get blank folder but it may be caused by your old configuration. I think you copied your home directory from PCLinuxOS to Pardus?

Did you try to remove these folders?

Btw, is your system up-to-date?
LinuxFanatic
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 00:00:14 AM »

KMail is quite a good e-mail client Smiley

I don't know why you get blank folder but it may be caused by your old configuration. I think you copied your home directory from PCLinuxOS to Pardus?

Did you try to remove these folders?

Btw, is your system up-to-date?

Hi Eren,

many thanks for your reply.

Since I installed Pardus, I'm using by default an new account with new user folder in /home/ . There are also no settings form an older System ... and I also do not use the same user folder from the PCLinuxOS account (I use PCLinuxOS currently only in VirtualBox ...)
Pardus is already up to date.

@ilanesh
I think people should use what they want. After ~5 years of experiences with GNU Linux and it's distributions, I have got also my own reasons therefore, why I'm using KDE applikations like KMail instead of Mozilla Thunderbird Wink

And I'm also not the same meaning, that PCLinuxOS is bad. I like both, PCLinuxOS and Pardus (!)
In the German PCLinuxOS community (www.pclinuxos.de) I moderate the community forum and his Wiki. I made also lots of art works for this distribution:
http://kde-look.org/usermanager/search.php?username=LinuxFanatic&action=contents

LinuxFanatic
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 00:49:25 AM »

Hi altogether  Cheesy

I solved the problem. If you activate the option for the search-field (see Screenshot) in the KMail settings dialog, than the folder icons and texts will be displayed. It's a strange method, but I'm very happy about that  Grin

With best regards
Gürkan

* Bildschirmphoto5.png (115.65 KB, 1280x800 - viewed 65 times.)

* Bildschirmphoto6.png (59.72 KB, 924x662 - viewed 58 times.)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 00:51:43 AM by LinuxFanatic » Logged

ilanesh
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 11:12:28 AM »

Hello Linux Fanatic,
wow, his is beautiful, wonderful artwork, lots more different then the original pclos,
I gues I have to tell my nefew about this, can you send me the link from your homepage from pclinuxsos in german?
My nefew lives in Germany and uses german language there.
I love the beautiful snow leopard very much, also all the othrs,
I am also an artist, but not for computers,
I see you have a install DVD and two extra cd`s. Do you have also a more larger Repo then the original one?
Wish you good luck with your work, I very much apriciate it.  Smiley
ilanesh
p.s
glad you solved you problem with kmail.  Smiley
Andreas
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 17:13:05 PM »

can you send me the link from your homepage from pclinuxsos in german?

Hallo ilanesh,

the Link for the German PClinuxOS you will find here

I am a German and can speak and write English a little bit. Wink

With LinuxFantatic I have a good contact. Smiley

Greetings
Andreas
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 17:17:05 PM by Andreas » Logged
LinuxFanatic
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 23:58:04 PM »

Hi Andreas - fine to meet you here  Cheesy

@ilanesh
Wich PCLinuxOS Version did you tried ?
There are actually tow kinds of PCLinuxOS:
The PCLinuxOS "MiniMe" - it is a "very slow down" version, with less packages - only for experienced users.
And the original PCLinuxOS 2007 - it should have more applications (for desktop users ...)

But you can also get more packages, if you make an update of the packages-list via synaptic or "apt-get update" Wink

I am a German and can speak and write English a little bit. Wink

With LinuxFantatic I have a good contact. Smiley
Yes that's true. I am an "austrian-turkisch-german" and can speak and write English too  Roll Eyes  Grin

Greetings
Gürkan

Dracoola
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 02:05:53 AM »

After ~5 years of experiences with GNU Linux and it's distributions, I have got also my own reasons therefore, why I'm using KDE applikations like KMail instead of Mozilla Thunderbird Wink

What are the reasons to use KMail instead of Mozilla Thunderbird ?

Please compare KMail and Mozilla Thunderbird .
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 11:18:01 AM »

After ~5 years of experiences with GNU Linux and it's distributions, I have got also my own reasons therefore, why I'm using KDE applikations like KMail instead of Mozilla Thunderbird Wink

What are the reasons to use KMail instead of Mozilla Thunderbird ?

Please compare KMail and Mozilla Thunderbird .

KMail is part of the KDE project, therefore it is well integrated with the KDE desktop environment. For example, it has a deskbar applet that tells you if you got mail and how many mails you received.

Thunderbird is an excellent email client, simple to use and providing a good anti-spam filter, but it is a GNOME project, therefore it doesn't integrate as well as KMail into the Pardus desktop. There is no thunderbird applet for the deskbar as far as I know. That's the primary reason that makes me use KMail instead of Thunderbird.

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 10:14:45 AM »

Thunderbird is an excellent email client, simple to use and providing a good anti-spam filter, but it is a GNOME project, therefore it doesn't integrate as well as KMail into the Pardus desktop. There is no thunderbird applet for the deskbar as far as I know. That's the primary reason that makes me use KMail instead of Thunderbird.

As of Thunderbird 2 apparently (I have still to try this myself) there is also an email notifier applet available for Thunderbird. Found this searching on the web:

================================================
How To Get New Email Notification in Mozilla Thunderbird
Angsuman Chakraborty
July 17th, 2008

You need to install an extension the in Mozilla Thunderbird to get new email notifications. Here is the steps in details:

1. Download the Mozilla New Mail Icon extension here. You should save the xpi file to disk.

2. Open Thunderbird and go to Tools->Add-ons and click on Install.

3. Now choose your saved extension file (with .xpi suffix) and allow the installation to proceed. After installation in complete you will be prompted to restart your server which you should allow.

Now you will see a new mail icon in your taskbar whenever a new email is available. You can also use the icon to hide your thunderbrid inbox as well as view the new emails.
=====================

Also there is this:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird2:NewMailAlerts

So TB obviously always included some sort of new mail notifier?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 10:19:31 AM by Michiel » Logged

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
atolboo
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 17:24:51 PM »

......... (I have still to try this myself) ............
My experience is that this notifier pops up when you open Thunderbird.
This isn't the notifier which I am looking for.
The only one that is working on my desktop is in GKrellM.
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 17:40:29 PM »

The behaviour of the notifier depends on your preferences AND (I guess this is what you mean) installing an extra add-on (MinimzetoTrayEnhancer) to minimize TB to the systemn tray bar, otherwise the notifier only works with TB full opened. Now it runs in the background in my system tray bar (actually TB is then of course also opened/running in the background, but you do not see mroe then the system tray icon and pop up email notify messages unless you click the icon to re-open TB.

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: