Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 10:29:23 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  help: Pardus fails starting up.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: help: Pardus fails starting up.  (Read 1653 times)
Roel

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2008, 23:13:30 PM »

Despite all enthusiastic stories about Pardus I'm cooled down and disappointed already after 2 days use, having various problems:

1) Installing thunderbird failed 3 times: package manager sticks every time at the end. Had to reboot te system. Thunderbird isn't installed.

1a) Why is 'help' only in turkish?Huh?Huh?

2) As a result Pardus won't start up: sticks with the blue 'swimming pool' screen and won't go any further.

3) re-installed Pardus allready 2 times.

4) sorry to say: fed-up with it and thinking going back to microsoft (yes, really), unless somebody knows what to do.

Roel
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 06:51:37 AM »

Can you please give more information about what system you are using Pardus on?
To give an answer to your questions:
1) Can you copy the output given by an installation of thunderbird using commandline?
(sudo pisi it thunderbird)
2) Which help do you mean? On commandline, all the man pages are in English, and (probably for you) in dutch, the wikipages are in multiple languages including dutch and english. There is a dutch and english forum, and on konversation (using the IRC channel) all developers speak english. There are more than 200000 Turkish Pardus users, Pardus is a project sponsored by the Turkish government, so it is quite fair a lot of results on Google are in Turkish. But there is also always English help.
4) As a result to what?
5) Why did you have to install Padus for several times? As you come as far as installing Thunderbird?
6) And if you are happy with Microsoft, it is no problem to stick with it, it is not a competition. Or you can always buy a mac Tongue (and multiboot it with Pardus  Wink )

For freedom...
Roel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 09:29:13 AM »

Ok, I was a bit irritated. Excuse me. So, to your questions and remarks:

I did install Pardus on a Fijutsi-Siemens Scaleo, memory 256, 55 GB harddisk. Don't know the processor-speed, at least to run Windows XP on it also properly. Did run ok, also with Windows XP, until installation of Thunderbird.  I looked for Thunderbird in the Package Manager (grafic, I didn't use any command lines/console, so I have no output of the command line) first but could not find it. So I downloaded it (www.mozilla.com) Then started PM again, wich did find Thunderbird. 209 'dependend' packages were needed. It took approximately 3 hours to install. Then it sticked after the configuration of the last package, I mean: it kept running without doing anything, the program didn't end/stopped itself. I did not know what to do so I stopped the system the proper whay (though, had to do it 2 times. The first time PM ended, the second time the system shut down).

By the way, PM did report some conflicting files before installing Thunderbird and asked tot remove them. I did answer 'yes'.

After that I started up my desktop but Pardus didn't go any further than the 'blue' screen (with 'Pardus' on top) and doesn't go further to the graphic part/shell with the login of users etc.  Nothing works here so it seemed, so I had to shut the desktop simply down by pushing the on/off button. That is why I installed it again: it didn't work anymore. And did the whole thing (installing Thunderbird etc.) again. Same result.

About the Turkish help-files: yes, the command-lines and 'buttons' are in Dutch. But pushing the help-button in the menu I only got Turkish texts. And also the texts of the categories and the packages are in turkish. Is it advisable to download and install Pardus in english next time?

If I have to intall Thunderbird by the command line, please help me where I can find any instructions.

Best regards,
Roel

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 10:19:17 AM »

If I have to intall Thunderbird by the command line, please help me where I can find any instructions.

Best regards,
Roel

Roel,

The way you tried to install Thunderbird in Pardus was definitely not how it was meant to be.

With downloaded source files you should install using the command line (I posted a reply and a link to the dutch wiki (http://nl.pardus-wiki.org/Hoofdpagina) in the dutch Pardus forum at http://forum.pardus-linux.nl)

Did you downlaod a Thunderbird tar.gz file, or a Thudnerbird .pisi file?

I am not at home now but I can hardly imagine that thunderbird is not supplied as a PISI package in the Pardus repositories.

You might have to install additional repositories (software package sources) in the settings of your PM.

See e.g. Toevoegen van de contrib repository voor meer software pakketten
(http://nl.pardus-wiki.org/Contrib_repository)

When you find the Thunderbird PISI package that way, it will be much easier to install it.

Anyway you should not include source files in the PM meant for handling of PISI packages....

Good luck, and if you lose your mind sooner or later, although I prefer Pardus, you might also consider to give PCLinuxOS a try as an alternative and relatively fast distro.

Hope you will stay at Pardus though !  Grin

A direct link e.g. to the latest Thunderbird version available in Pardus:
http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/pardusrepo/2007/thunderbird-2.0.0.12-34-27.pisi

Check http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/pardusrepo/2007/ for more
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 10:35:45 AM by Michiel » Logged

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 16:28:47 PM »

Thunderbird is available as Pisi package, this is why I advised to install it using the commandline.
Only typing "sudo pisi it thunderbird"will install Thunderbird without any problem.
As for the Turkish helpfiles, this sounds like a bug since Pardus should show English files when Dutch is unavailable. Which program are you referring to? Also the repository should be in Dutch (installing it over here worked as intended), could you post a screen of it?

For freedom...
Roel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 23:46:56 PM »

Sorry, don't know how to make a screen-dump and can't copy text (yes I'm a beginner, and can't even find it on wiki).

I installed Pardus again, resulted in the same turkish text. But I used an older version (2007). I don't know and can't find a HOW-TO for making an upgrade to 2007.3

The 2007.3 version installing failed over and over again. I did the CD-check in the installation-program. I'm sure I followed the right instructions about required memory on the hard-disk.
the first time it sticked formatting the disk-space (never occured before). Had to push the on/off button.
The second time it sticked on a black screen when about 30% was configured. Had to push the on/off button.
The third time I got an error:
"swap format failed: /dev/hda3
Yali.exception.YaliException..................."

etc. etc.

The fourth time I installed the older version (2007), but it didn/t end properly in the end (after installation and going to the login-screen wich it didn't reach). Had to pus the on/off button again. Starting up did run properly.

Then I tried to make the language all dutch like explained in WIKI. I got the bug:
" Pardus configuratiecentrum (Tasma) ongeldige bewerking signaal: 6 (SIGABRT)"

I also tried this one:
"  Pakketbeheer > Toon nieuwe pakketten

Vul in het Zoek: veld k3b in.

Zet een vinkje voor k3b-i18n-nl en kies Installeer pakket(ten).

Sluit Pakketbeheer. "

but after following the instructions I got the announcement of conflicting files:
"kernel-headers: [linux-headers]
iputils   [tracerouteuitgave <= 5]
kernel [m560x]"

Before I answered "Yes". this time " no" . To be onest: I don't know what to respond. There is no explanation.

So: I'm lost.......

Does anyone know a link to the right last version of pardus that works? Please? I'll trie it once again.

nevertheless thanks for all the help I got.
Roel

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: