Beta 1 test version, one big step further on the way to Pardus 2008, has been released. As usual, this test version can be found atftp://ftp.pardus.org.tr/pub/pardus/kurulan/2008/
For a problem-free installation please make sure that you check the file sums after the download, and burn the CDs at DAO mode with 16x maximum.
With this release of Pardus 2008 which will meet with increasing number of users, various innovations and changes are presented for the service of users and developers.
- Some of these changes and innovations at first glimpse include:
- Pardus technologies : new COMAR based on dbus, a faster and more talented PiSi, a renewed YALI, a new graphical configuration interface, a new KAPTAN that brings much more customization ability for our users...
- Up-to-date desktop technologies: Complete policykit, consolekit and dbus/COMAR integration all over the desktop, support for Pulseaudio, automatic printer detection...
- New graphic design: Pardus has been renewed in all respects from boot screen to icon set, and from desktop backgrounds to splash screens..
- Wide range of packages: Pardus’ package repository is expanding and being updated day by day: up-to-date versions such as gcc 4.31 RC, glibc 2.8, kernel 188.8.131.52, Python 2.5 on the base system; OpenOffice 184.108.40.206, Firefox 3.0 RC1 on the desktop...
- While Pardus 2008 comes with all these changes, it does not fall short of its well-known basic features: Pardus 2008 comes as one CD that meets its users’ needs in terms of internet tools, office suits, multimedia (pictures, music, video, etc.) players and countless other software.
Nevertheless Pardus 2008 Beta contains one bug that we have not yet addressed: During installation with languages other than Turkish and English the whole installation process stops just after package installation. Therefore installation with other languages are not supported at this time.
Finally, we would like to remind you once more that this is a test release: We did our best to make this a stable and bug-free release. However, please do not forget that you are using a software in testing phase. Please feel free to submit your recommendations and bugs you encounter during your tests to our bug tracking system at http://hata.pardus.org.tr
For being less prone to failure, we once more remind you to burn your CD’s at DAO mode with 16x maximum.
Ekin Meroglu <ekin_at_pardus.org.tr>