Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 18:29:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  Grub error for Pardus 2008
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grub error for Pardus 2008  (Read 6651 times)
Steve.K

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2008, 10:41:28 AM »

Installing 2008 I opted to put grub on the Pardus root rather than the MBR, and then copied the stanza over.
On booting though, I get a grub error 2 'Bad file or directory'. Reading about this, it seems that error 2 arises when the file pointed to does not exist, or if it is symlinked. The line with the problem is the kernel line - in my root /boot I have an initramfs package (tar?), but the kernel seems to be a file rather than a package. Is the grub entry symlinked (and if so, where is the kernel?) or has the installation not installed it?

Thanks in adv.
caber
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 21:14:58 PM »

I can confirm the same thing here . The menu.list also set my pardus root partition as hd0,8 when all my other distros list it as hd2,8 .Why it seemed to correctly detect it as the third drive during partitioning , I'm not quite sure . I got it to boot once by changing this when grub was booting , but was not successful in further attempts . Chainloading or copy and pasting the menu.list entry from Pardus into my Mepis menu.list will not work .Pardus will not detect my other OSes either .
 The one time I did get it to boot , I was very impressed . The fix can't be that hard , but I'm out of ideas .
Steve.K

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 21:16:54 PM »

I've installed three times now and have tried various grub combinations - by this screenshot it doesn't seem as if I actually have a kernel installed!

* Screenshot-boot - File Browser.png (37.8 KB, 1018x637 - viewed 73 times.)

* Screenshot-boot - File Browser.png (37.8 KB, 1018x637 - viewed 63 times.)
caber
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 21:32:03 PM »

That's exactly what I have . I suppose that's why it's called beta . Smiley
Andreas
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 10:38:43 AM »

Hello,

it is a Beta and when you find bugs so please use the category "Bugs" in this Forum or better write directly that to the Bug-Team

Thanks and greetings
Andreas
caber
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 16:43:23 PM »

Thanks for the reply Andreas . I'm curious if there is a possible workaround to get Pardus booting on my system , or do I have to wait for the next beta ?
Andreas
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 17:07:20 PM »

Thanks for the reply Andreas . I'm curious if there is a possible workaround to get Pardus booting on my system

Hello caber,

perhaps this Installation-Screenshot of Pardus 2007 can help you.

Greetings
Andreas
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 17:16:28 PM by Andreas » Logged
Andreas
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 17:18:39 PM »

I've installed three times now and have tried various grub combinations - by this screenshot it doesn't seem as if I actually have a kernel installed!

Hello,

why is Grub in your /home-folder?

Grub must be in /boot/grub

Greetings
Andreas

azra
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 17:18:58 PM »

Thanks for the reply Andreas . I'm curious if there is a possible workaround to get Pardus booting on my system , or do I have to wait for the next beta ?

Hi Caber

You can get 2007.3, the latest stable version, on this page: -
http://www.pardus.org.tr/eng/products/index.html

Be aware that the live CD is only a live CD and you cannot install Pardus on your system from this medium. To do so, you need to download Lynx lynx.
caber
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 00:29:21 AM »

Thanks Azra , but I'll wait for a bootable Parbus 2008 . I have Grub in boot/grub and it looks the same as Steve's . No matter what combination I try , my Mepis Grub loader simply cannot find something to boot Pardus up .I have that nice Pardus 2008 system installed , it would be a shame to overwrite it with an older version now !
Andreas
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 06:25:50 AM »

Hello,

I hope, that this Thread can help you.

Greetings
Andreas
caber
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 07:14:27 AM »

I installed Pardus 2007 with the same grub errors - an error 22 and an error 13 after trying to correct the drive order in menu.lst , grub.conf and device.map . I remember last years Sabayon Linux having the exact same problem , but it is now fixed and installs fine . What I need to do is get Pardus to recognize the same disk order as all my other distros .Does anyone have any idea how to do this ?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 07:29:09 AM by caber » Logged
caber
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 18:45:17 PM »

...or a good online Turkish to English translator so I can peruse the main forums ?
Andreas
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 19:03:24 PM »

...or a good online Turkish to English translator so I can peruse the main forums ?

You must search by google with tr-en

And have a look here

You also can search here in Forum for Grub.

Greetings
Andreas
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 19:13:58 PM by Andreas » Logged
caber
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 18:46:04 PM »

I installed RC1 and have fixed the problem using the BootManager . Pardus installs grub to my third hard drive , however confuses it with my master drive when assigning numbers . For some reason Pardus correctly reads sdc as the third drive then installs grub to sdc  using a value of hd0 .  I simply opened Boot Manager and changed root from sda to sdc where Pardus actually installed grub .
 I'm very , very impressed with the OS . It's fast , easy to use , and looks great .
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: