Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 12:54:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  Grub error for Pardus 2008
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grub error for Pardus 2008  (Read 6663 times)
Andreas
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 18:56:49 PM »

I'm very , very impressed with the OS . It's fast , easy to use , and looks great .
Hello caber,

I am glad to hear it. Smiley

Greetings
Andreas
Steve.K

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 21:15:40 PM »

RC1 and still no beans here - same error message.

Very strange (RC1 of SuSE 11 does the same thing).
caber
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 22:16:40 PM »

I just experimented with  the the latest Debian up to the point where it's installer gave me yet a different drive order for my hard drives . It is time for who ever is maintaining grub to get his crap together . This is not amusing . Each and every distro should give the same drive order results for the same hardware . No technical argument one way or the other over rides the fact that OSes should work together . This is nothing aginst Pardus , it's something everybody should get straight .
Steve.K

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 22:27:57 PM »

I only have one HD, and have just copied over the stanza from the Pardus root partition. I tested 2007.3 just to make sure that something wasn't up, and that worked fine.

Oh well....
caber
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 22:35:21 PM »

Now that's strange indeed .
rhomp2002

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2008, 04:32:00 AM »

I installed Pardus with boot on the Pardus partion.  When I tried to boot in, I get an error.  What is funny is that I have another distro which is set to boot from the partition with a chainloader also.  When I try to boot that one I get a list of the distros that are set to boot with the chainloader and the Pardus partition is one of them.  If I then click on the Pardus partition there, then it boots just fine and works as it should.  It just won't boot by itself.  Very strange. 

The root partition for the computer is Kubuntu and all the other distros work just fine except for Pardus but it works if you detour through another distro first and then select Pardus from that one.  Any suggestions as to how to fix this?  I don't think I should have to boot Mandriva and then from the first screen of Mandriva further boot Pardus in order to get Pardus to work. Lips Sealed Grin Grin
caber
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2008, 04:54:25 AM »

I currently boot 7 versions of Linux and PCBSD , every freakin' one of which handles the boot process differently . This is not a fault of Pardus , but a general failing of the Linux community to get it's crap together . I understand each distro may have some technical argument for using one package manager or another ( though that has gotten far out of hand in terms of number ) .When 95% use grub and each one works different , that is just plain silly . I'm still trying to figure out the other 5% , they must be trying to be some kind of super geeks by being different .
HolyDiver

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2008, 18:06:11 PM »

I have installed Pardus 2008 on my "Linux" disc. There is PCLinuxOS on the first partition, Pardus is on fifth partition. Bootloader of Pardus is installed to the Pardus partition. GRUB in MBR has been installed while PCLinuxOS has been installed, it means all booting sequences are written in /boot/grub/menu.lst in the first partition. After installation I have added the entry for booting of Pardus there
title Pardus 2008
root (hd0,4)
kernel (hd0,4)/boot/kernel-2.6.25.9-101 root=LABEL=PARDUS_ROOT vga=791 splash=silent quiet resume=/dev/sdb6
initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initramfs-2.6.25.9-101
but Pardus didn't boot and following error appeared on the screen:
Error 2: bad file of directory type
  So I have added following command to menu.lst
title Pardus 2008
root (hd0,4)
chainloader +1
and this sequnce has been  succeeded. But only once because for the second time already Pardus didn't boot and following error appeared on the screen:
Booting 'Pardus 2008'
root (hd0,4)
Filesystem type is ext2fs , partition type 0x83
chainloader +1
Error 13: invalid or unsupported executable format
Really it drives me mad. Huh? Is anybody able to help me to find a solution ? Thanks in advance.  Smiley
Andreas
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2008, 18:25:56 PM »

Hello HolyDriver,

look here  Wink

Greetings
Andreas
rhomp2002

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 21:25:35 PM »

Right now I have Pardus boot record in the Pardus partition.  If I understand what you are saying I need to make Pardus be the root for grub and have my other distros run from it rather than have Pardus run from my current root distro for grub.  How can I change the boot record and the grub to do this without having to re-install Pardus?  Once I have Pardus installed that way I know how to put the other distros I have in the menu.lst.  I just don't want to lose the things I already have in Pardus.

I still, however, don't see why the chainloader does not work for Pardus.  It does for all the other distros I have (Mandriva, Fedora, Sabayon, OpenSUSE, Kubuntu, Ubuntu, LinuxMint, Mepis, Debian, BlueWhite64).  They all boot from the grub that has its root in Kubuntu and when I had the root in OpenSUSE Kubuntu booted from the grub in OpenSUSE just fine.  The only one that has a problem is Pardus.  Very strange.
CaptainCookie
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 23:34:08 PM »

I thought it was just

Code:
grub-install /dev/hd?

caber
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 03:17:48 AM »

Tasma / system /boot manager - you might be able to fix your problem from there . I had to use it to straighten up the drive order in Pardus' grub , after that every thing was tickedy boo .
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 17:26:56 PM by caber » Logged
Andreas
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2008, 08:18:25 AM »

Hello,

about the same problem in the following Thread I wrote a Bug.  Wink

Greetings
Andreas
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 08:20:39 AM by Andreas » Logged
caber
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 10:50:40 AM »

I got a new computer a few days ago and just spent several hours trying to configure Pardus . I installed GRUB to the root of its hard drive as this is the only way another distros GRUB will pick it up and boot it . Everything seems to be going along until I updated via PISI and tried installing the Nvidia drivers . Pardus rebooted into VESA and nothing will get it back . The drive order for my hard drives on my new system , is backwards , just like on my last system . I tried changing the drive order via Tasma , but it tells me that my second harddrive does not exist - despite the fact that it currently resides on the freakin' thing ! When I updated my system Pardus couldn't find it's own boot image to write a new GRUB entry . Why does the installed system not see the hard drive order the same way as the installer ? That's enough for me . I like the OS , but this GRUB thing is way , way over the top and needs to be fixed . I have 8 other OSes spread across two SATA drives that have no problem whatsoever booting with their hd# and chainloader +1 .
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 10:57:20 AM by caber » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: