Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 01:55:56 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  Pardus Growing Pain Errors - I'VE HAD ENOUGH!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pardus Growing Pain Errors - I'VE HAD ENOUGH!  (Read 4517 times)
dzpardus

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2008, 16:40:43 PM »

I would have liked to work with Pardus more but in these last few days I have had many many bug errors. I cannot install any programs or due an upgrade. Maybe in the future you will have a quality OS but for now it has to many problems for me. I really needed a stable fully functionable Linux OS for my school. It's time to move to a different distro. Good Luck with future releases.

DZ
waterfietser
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 16:55:49 PM »

I read in another topic that you use 2008. This is just a beta version and is not yet stable.

Why don't you use the stable 2007.3 version?
Eren.Turkay
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 16:58:56 PM »

I guess, you're using 2008 Beta.

Pardus 2008 Beta is a development version of upcoming 2008 release. I understand your problem but you should know that you can always have errors (maybe lots of) in development releases.

You can try Pardus 2007.3 which is quite stable for your production machine. Or you can just try upcoming 2008-RC1 release. Of course, you will face errors on 2008-RC1, too. It doesn't solve all problems.

I hope, you will try to calm down and will use proper Pardus version Smiley
dzpardus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 17:22:48 PM »

Yes, I am using 2008 RC1 but I don't see how magic errors from the 2 listed Pardus mirrors has anything to due with this version. Why would anyone release a beta version that cannot install  programs or upgrade existing programs. Known bugs with 2008 rc1 was language. It is claimed to be a pretty stabe version otherwise. I tried to install and upgrade but comtinue to get a kernel upgrade key error from the server. I have posted this error and since yesterday this issue hasn't been resolved.  Time is money for me and I have enough projects  toI work on without having needs for problems with a distro that I cannot use. I still believe it will be a great distro in time but the team has their work cut out for them. I don't like having to open a window everytime I log on to start my adsl.  Many distro have a adsl wizard that sets up adsl easy on boot, PCLinux, Fedora, Sidux etc. Some distros put a text file on the desktop explaining how to setup the interent connection.  I dislike having to reboot into another distro to look up how to setup ADSL. Then cannot find an answer in the forms. ahahahaha  What good is a distro when you have problems connecting to the internet.  I wasted 2 hours getting ADSL setup.  Not good! I found out I had to use SUPER USER MODE for the ADSL setup. What's with this?
 Anyway, when the finial release comes out for 2008 I may try it again, maybe not.  I went to the Dutch mirror to check on upgrades and it gave 448 megs of upgrades.  What is this!   ahahahaha

Anyway, I do appreciate the help by the fourm team.

DZ
Eren.Turkay
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 17:35:12 PM »

OK Smiley It's an OpenSource world and you are free to choose whatever distro you want. That you can't use your ADSL Usb modem doesn't mean that Pardus is not a good distro Smiley

I suggest that you use ethernet router, probably a simple one which has 1-ethernet port and 1-usb port. In that case, you won't have any problems in connecting your machine to Internet.
azra
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 18:20:08 PM »

Why don't you want to use 2007.3?  Huh?
As soon as 2008 is released, it will upgrade with a simple pisi up?
Eren.Turkay
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 18:50:27 PM »

Why don't you want to use 2007.3?  Huh?
As soon as 2008 is released, it will upgrade with a simple pisi up?
Updating from 2007 to 2008 will hardly available because gcc4 completely breaks API/ABI so Pardus 2008 is not backward compatible with 2007. 2007 uses gcc3 while 2008 uses gcc4.

Don't ever try to update your system by adding 2008 repository on your 2007 machine Smiley You will fail and you won't be able to boot your machine.
dzpardus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 19:40:14 PM »

Hi, I am not using a USB modem.  My adsl modem is connected to my ethernet (eth0). I disconnect Netwrok manager because it wants to setup DSL. My adsl modem connect to the internet thru eth0. I had no problems connecting to the internet once I learned that I needed to do adsl-setup in Superuser User Mode.  Anyway, I will wait for the 2008 finial then try it again. 
From what Eren Yurkay says, 2008 will NOT be backwards compatible with 2007.  I guess anyone who wants to upgrade to 2008 finial will have to do a complete reinstall. 
  All in All I find Pardus to be stable with what I have installed. That is one happy note.  ahahahaha

Thanks,
DZ
Eren.Turkay
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 19:56:38 PM »

Reinstalling Pardus 2008 is the best way to upgrade the system. If your /home is on seperate disk, this update is really easy as you won't use your data..

My surname is not "Yurkay", it's "Turkay", btw.
azra
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 21:08:40 PM »

Reinstalling Pardus 2008 is the best way to upgrade the system. If your /home is on seperate disk, this update is really easy as you won't use your data..

Ok, thanks for that Eren, for some reason I was under the impression that we could upgrade through pisi. My bad....
I do have my /home folder on a separate drive, so I just do a clean  install and that is that? Will a guide be released for dummies like me?
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 21:10:22 PM »

Yes, I am using 2008 RC1 but I don't see how magic errors from the 2 listed Pardus mirrors has anything to due with this version. Why would anyone release a beta version that cannot install  programs or upgrade existing programs. Known bugs with 2008 rc1 was language. It is claimed to be a pretty stabe version otherwise. I tried to install and upgrade but comtinue to get a kernel upgrade key error from the server. I have posted this error and since yesterday this issue hasn't been resolved.  Time is money for me and I have enough projects  toI work on without having needs for problems with a distro that I cannot use. I still believe it will be a great distro in time but the team has their work cut out for them. I don't like having to open a window everytime I log on to start my adsl.  Many distro have a adsl wizard that sets up adsl easy on boot, PCLinux, Fedora, Sidux etc. Some distros put a text file on the desktop explaining how to setup the interent connection.  I dislike having to reboot into another distro to look up how to setup ADSL. Then cannot find an answer in the forms. ahahahaha  What good is a distro when you have problems connecting to the internet.  I wasted 2 hours getting ADSL setup.  Not good! I found out I had to use SUPER USER MODE for the ADSL setup. What's with this?
 Anyway, when the finial release comes out for 2008 I may try it again, maybe not.  I went to the Dutch mirror to check on upgrades and it gave 448 megs of upgrades.  What is this!   ahahahaha

Anyway, I do appreciate the help by the fourm team.

DZ

I think all the problems you encountered are due to the fact that you used a beta version. ADSL and network settings on Pardus are the easiest of all distros I've tried. Far easier than Kubuntu who recently declared it may shift to Pardus tools instead of the KDE ones.
If you try Ubunut beta or Mandriva beta, etc., you will have similar blocking problems.

Even when beta testers say that the beta version is bugfree, you should never use the beta on production machines. Beta is for debugging only, whatever distro it is.

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Eren.Turkay
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 21:30:04 PM »

Ok, thanks for that Eren, for some reason I was under the impression that we could upgrade through pisi. My bad....
I do have my /home folder on a separate drive, so I just do a clean  install and that is that? Will a guide be released for dummies like me?

You should be careful, first Smiley Having /home directory mounted during the installation configuration process is easy. When YALI shows the harddisk section, you will select "I want to manage it manually (something like that)" and point YALI to where to install Pardus, and where to mount /home. Be careful that you don't format /home after setting up! Uncheck the format option.

Besides this, you will have to create a user with the same name. E.g, if your username was "foo" while using 2007, you will add a user "foo" in YALI. That's for permission issues. If all goes well, you will be able to login into your new box with the same name and same configuration files.
dzpardus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 22:21:33 PM »

Hi Eren.Turkay, The Yurkay was a type o... I did my partitions like this: 15gig "/" a 10gig swap and a 100gig /home.  It is all on a 250gig HD.  I didn't put my /home on a seperate disk.  I didn't find anything making the suggestion in the forums to put "/home" directory on a seperate drive. My other 250gig drive has Winxp on it but I am only using 100gigs of the 250gs on that drive. Oh yes, your partition program wouldn't let me make a swap file smaller than 10gigs.

My PC is home built: GA-P35C-DS3R Gigabyte MB, 2 gigs DDR2 666, 2/250 gigs SATA II hard drives, 7600GT Nvidia graphics card. I will be getting a better graphics card next month.  CPU is Intel core 2 QUAD 2.4gh.

I guess if I want to install 2007.3 I need to make the "/home" directory on a seperate drive to update later to 2008 finial, correct?
azra
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 22:56:50 PM »

Hi Eren

Thanks for the walkthrough: crystal clear.

The only mistake I made typing my message is that, like my colleague above, my root partition is on /dev/sda1 and my home drive on /dev/sda6, i.e. on a different partition, but on the same drive. I take your point re: formatting the right partition, but as long as I keep /home intact, I should be fine?
Eren.Turkay
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 23:34:18 PM »

Yes that's the point.

Btw, I don't mean the seperate disk, I mean the seperate partition for /home. The basic point is formatting root partition where system files are kept (" / "), and leaving /home directory unchanged.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: