Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 17:03:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  how to....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: how to....  (Read 2065 times)
miltonjohn2
« on: June 12, 2008, 15:38:19 PM »

upgrade?
from 2007.3 to 2008 pardus?

hi at all,

thanks a lot for tips!

new install without touching seperate home?
pisi up?

or what!

greetings Heiko Wink
Andreas
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 16:37:37 PM »

Hello Heiko,

look here

Why now your User-Name miltonjohn2 and where is miltonjohn? Wink

Greetings
Andreas
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 20:28:51 PM »

http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Pardus:Upgrading/2007-2008

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
miltonjohn2
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 08:43:56 AM »

hi,

miltonjohn went to a kind of liquidation...
when i got into a little mess with pardus - so it was a "kurzschluss-action"

but i thought over it and found out that i have to use ONE Linux run on and on...

i am full of doubts on distrubutions - cause you may know this dicipline of distrohopping?
there are always some things i dont like on distros

so pardus is great but it could have a greater repo - sure they are working very hard on it.
#it could be faster with package management especially pisi up- so i think the updating of the xmls are very time intensive in 2007.3pardus.

#the kcontrol-center "tasma" i got the feeling that i can not set it up like i am used to by the full and classic design of kde-control-center (but it is only a feeling i guess)

#i dont like the bootmanager to get other distros to the menu.lst - thats how it began (the mess)
its like the pclos bootmanager to get other distros to menu.lst but i dont know what to do?
then i looked for blkid but in fstab there where no uuids
i found it in blkid.tab edited it but no succsess Sad parsix wont be found.

#the other thing was hdparm - to check my dma not in the repo not in the installation - i watched a movie and it was stucking sometimes when other processes are running like opera
so there is a failure with dma or with the fglrx-driver but if there were no other processes -it was all fine so i think i have to check dma - but how?

ubuntu and its derivates - it is tooooo big but a good, actual and hughe repo, too many uses ubuntu - youre learning ubuntu instead of debian - and my "bad mind" tells Ubuntu is the windows in linux (virus-paranoia and so on)

sidux to messy - parsix good but testing-unstable debian, kanotix very good also the support but printerproblems...

redhat - i dont like it at all cause of the packagemanagement - searching some specific packages (which might destroy the installation)

and other distros like slackware gentoo i dont want to use with my beginner skills...

in the end i fall back to pardus which is indeed very userfriendly, actual, and stable - now i am miltonjohn2 - try to fix my problems not running or hopping away - stay tuned - learning and growing into this community

and i hope somebody creates pisis of packages i told in my Wishlist... Smiley

so back to the topic:
i do a fresh install, (like eren recomended, also phix - thanks for your answer) but how will i restore reinstall my already installed packages? i an automatic kind of way? (in debian there are console-scripts to get it reinstalled) like k9copy, languagesfiles, opera, and so on.
this is still my fictual problem Wink

sorry for that long statement, in this thread with all the other discussion-topics
should i open new threads? Wink

Thanks guys!!

« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 08:46:13 AM by miltonjohn2 » Logged
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 11:08:05 AM »

I you know the exact names of the additionnal packages you want to reinstall, just type them one after another. For exemple, in order to install k9copy and opera :

Code:
sudo pisi it k9cpoy opera

you can also wrap this into a bash script like this one below to add some easyness to the process.
Code:
#! /bin/bash

## VARIABLES ##
PACKAGES='k9copy opera'
WARNING='You must be root to run this script.'
RED='\033[0;31m'

## FUNCTION ##
check_user()
{
if [ "$UID" != 0 ];
then echo -e " \n $RED $WARNING \n";
exit 1;
fi
}

## MAIN PROGRAM ##
check_user()
pisi it $PACKAGES && echo -e "The following packages have been installed :\n$PACKAGES \n"
exit 0

Save it as "reinstall.sh" for example, make it executable (chmod +x reinstall.sh) and run it through a terminal.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 11:15:52 AM by PhiX » Logged

miltonjohn2
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 22:48:22 PM »

hi phix

so i will tell you more after reinstall but a big Thank you!!!! right now!

When i started to use pardus i tried like i was used by apt to do a pisi it opera vlc and so on but it didnt work this time maybe i did something wrong? so iam surprised that it work like you wrote...

The bash-script looks easy and good! wait till stable-release! i will test it if nobody else did it before!

Thank you a lot! Smiley
miltonjohn2
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 23:55:01 PM »

@phix

sorry your script shows an error on line 19 near (pisi) or like that  - line 19 for sure - so thanks and i reinstalled all fresh your dbus-solutions arrived to late and i installed all the fresh way and had a look at package-manager with the depos of 2007 to get more working packages.... some working well Wink
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 00:17:57 AM »

What is the error ?

You shouldn't use 2007 packages on Pardus 2008.

miltonjohn2
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 15:55:39 PM »

as soon as i moved - and get connected to internet at my new home i will have a further look.

besides that: why dont use 2007 packages? they are running and if a newer version is ready so the old one will be deleted???!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: