Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 14:25:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Wish list
| | |-+  System Repair Tools
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: System Repair Tools  (Read 1009 times)
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« on: June 19, 2008, 20:19:33 PM »

OpenSuSE has just introduced a nice and useful graphical user interface to various system tools such as fsck.
It would be a nice addition to Pardus 2009.

Screenshots : http://en.opensuse.org/Screenshots/openSUSE_11.0#System_Repair_Tools

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 23:08:41 PM »

It is not supposed to be for power users who enjoy the power of the terminal, it's for everyday users.

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
miltonjohn2
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 08:26:27 AM »

hi,

well a systemrepair-tool might be besides fsck a gui which does a grub reinstall.

grub reinstall or bootloader check like shown on the pictures - i think is a good thing
also to check partitions if they´re allright is also good and check the fstab is not necesary on pardus 2007.3 cause i found out that pardus doesnt bother a new UUID (right?).
checking packages? what for all you've installed runs? or not? All pisi's are tested - and if you compile a tar.gz or foreign-packages will not be found by the tool or found and recognized as a failure which might be removed...

It's a play-Tool and if there´s a problem go to #pardus channel and ask there for support - eren speaks english as well and he will help you out on problems - so youre learning much more about your system than doing a tool-thing.

Heiko

Perhaps we just form the wish to a
Grub-loader-recovery-tool which is able to reinstall grub which also get you to elect where grub is placed to /root-partition, mbr, or on your first or second HDD.

Is that a suggestion?Huh? Smiley

Heiko
thecdn
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 15:45:39 PM »

Perhaps we just form the wish to a
Grub-loader-recovery-tool which is able to reinstall grub which also get you to elect where grub is placed to /root-partition, mbr, or on your first or second HDD.

Is that a suggestion?Huh? Smiley

Great idea. I've used the pclinuxos grub largely becasue of the redo-mbr feature available that makes reinstalling grub painless. I install a lot of distros to look at and play with and this feature has made my life very easy quite often.

With Pardus RC 2 I've switched to using the Pardus grub to see how it works. Was quite disappointed it didn't pick up any of the other distros I had installed - had to manually edit grub for that.

Picking up other distros on install and an easy way to reinstall the grub would be two very nice features to see in Pardus in the future.
miltonjohn2
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 15:55:42 PM »

and yes youre right a automatic recognize other operatingssystems by the grub-install is very useful (exept Windows)...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: