Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 08:51:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  Installing Pardus 2008
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Installing Pardus 2008  (Read 1205 times)
Thane
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2008, 02:06:49 AM »

I've been happily using Pardus 2007 and have done all of the periodic updates.  I've looked through the forum topics here and don't seem to see the answer to a question I have:  does the switch from 2007 to 2008 require a complete fresh install?  And if it does, will everything that I've tweaked in 2007 be lost?  Or...have the updates already brought me to 2008?  Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 13:33:41 PM by Thane » Logged
CaptainCookie
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 23:28:25 PM »

It is not possible to upgrade 2007 to 2008, because the system itself has changed a lot. If you install the 2008 version, all of your tweaks will be lost, but if you back-up your home directory (/home/<user>) which contains all your program settings, most of them should be saved. Just copy the contents of your back-upped folder to the new one and you should be fine.

Maybe the devs have some folders they would like you to exclude because maybe some configuration files might give errors on 2008, but I'm not sure Wink

miltonjohn2
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 23:42:17 PM »

sorry but captaincookie have a look at:

http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Pardus:Upgrading/2007-2008

so keep your  home and do what wiki says - so youre on the best way to do a good upgrade -install by cd -dont do a fresh install at all but if theres no other way (but there is ! )
CaptainCookie
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 15:34:57 PM »

But I thought he didn't have a seperate /home partition, so he still has to back-up his home folder (like the wiki says). I guess it is always advisible to do a fresh install rather than an upgrade, your system will run smoother Smiley.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: