Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 09:29:18 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Bugs
| | |-+  No chance to boot Pardus 2008
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: No chance to boot Pardus 2008  (Read 4530 times)
Icecube63

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 19:57:43 PM »

Hi Holydriver,

i had the same problem, and until now i don't understand why the entry of Pardus at the grub of PCLOS don't work.
I solved it by installing grub of Pardus at MBR, after this you have to edit your menu.lst of Pardus by copying the entrys of the menu.lst of PCLOS into it as root. Let the entry of Pardus and the grub configuration unchanged.
This should work. If you need annytime your PCLOS-grub again, you make a redo mbr with your Live-CD.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 21:00:43 PM by Icecube63 » Logged
Andreas
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 20:26:11 PM »

@icecube63

Hello,

nice to sea you here and welcome.  Smiley

Greetings
Andreas
Andreas
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 08:11:33 AM »

Hello all together,

about Dualbooting-Problem I wrote now a Bug.  Wink

Here you can look

Greetings
Andreas
Andreas
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 11:10:37 AM »

Hello,

here the answer of the Bug-Team:  Wink

------- Comment #1 From M.Burak Alkan 2008-07-03 09:29:18 [reply] -------
As far as I know Pardus uses 256-bit ext3 filesystem and grub.This means you
will not be able to boot Pardus from an 128-bit grub(and other recent distros
too).

You should install grub within Pardus to MBR and add other distros to Pardus's
menu.lst.This is not a grub problem besides  your entry seems  true.

Greetings
Andreas
roger64

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 16:18:16 PM »

Thanks for a clear answer to a very puzzling problem I had too.
This is not a bug, it's a feature  Smiley

Looks like the beginning of a transitional period. Better live with 256 bits and set our Grub on a 256 bits ext3 filesystem.

The following is a fairly recent quote that further confirms this trend:

I was reading something, and came across this item in mandriva, someone else had referenced it re sidux
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/SysAdm ... Transition

Quote:
With Mandriva 2008.1, the format for representing files on disks has been slightly modified: 2008.1 uses inodes with a size of 256 bytes rather than the 128-byte inodes of earlier systems. That may create difficulties on multi-partition systems when booting from a non-2008.1 Linux partition (that still uses 128-byte inodes) into 2008.1, possibly also vice versa.

The boot-sector that is written by Mandriva 2008.1 can handle both sizes of inodes: normally there should be no problem when using the 2008.1 bootloader to boot into pre-2008.1 system partitions. But the bootloaders of these earlier systems cannot deal with 256-byte nodes. Booting into 2008.1 will therefore fail if the boot-sector has been written by most pre-2008.1 systems. Currenly this is the case for Mandriva 2008.0 and older releases, and also for most other Linux distributions.

Normally the user does not need to explicitely specify what bootloader is to be installed, he accepts the bootloader that is written by default - for instance when a system is installed or when an updated kernel is put in place. During the transition period while partitions with 128-byte and with 256-byte inodes coexist, management of multi-partition systems may require some precautions. The present note explains some items that have resulted from recent forum discussions.

If this sounds too complicated, well : imagine you are using Word 5. Word 6 appears and you cannot read anymore these new Word 6 files. Users of Word 6 can read both Word 6 and Word 5. We played this game before, but now it's free... Smiley

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 16:04:37 PM by roger64 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: