Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 20:26:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  [solved]Administrator's password not accepted
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [solved]Administrator's password not accepted  (Read 3550 times)
william5

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2008, 01:46:51 AM »

Hi,

I installed Pardus 2008 on a MEDION MD96340 laptop and got almost everything working fine. The only problem I ran into is my administrator's password. When I install some software in PiSi, the password that I gave during installation is accepted. However, when I need to go into the Administrator mode, e.g., in Tasma for installing some fonts, that same password is not accepted. Further, on the command line, when I do su and then enter the pwd, I get the message "permission denied".  When I use sudo, I get "sorry, try again". I know that one should use the user's pwd in that case, but that is not accepted either. I tried to log on as root, but that gave me the message "root logins are not allowed".

Not being able to use root privileges makes a distro pretty useless. Can anybody help?

William5
======       
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 06:43:15 AM by Andreas » Logged
littleb2005

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 05:52:47 AM »

same happening here
Andreas
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 06:13:15 AM »

Hello,

have you done this during the installation:

Have you give during the installation youryself (as the regular user) superusers privileges)?
That's why sudo did nothing and su was not even possible in the Konsole (denied)

If not, you can restored it via Tasma > System > Users Managment and  check the checkbox " give systemadministrator privileges to this user"  Wink

Greetings
Andreas
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 06:34:43 AM by Andreas » Logged
littleb2005

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 06:39:51 AM »

agree works thank you though i kind of figue it out before hand
william5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 16:46:52 PM »

Have you give during the installation youryself (as the regular user) superusers privileges)?
That's why sudo did nothing and su was not even possible in the Konsole (denied)[/b]

If not, you can restored it via Tasma > System > Users Managment and  check the checkbox " give systemadministrator privileges to this user"  Wink

Greetings
Andreas

Thanks, Andreas, that solved the problem for me!

william5
=====
Andreas
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 18:37:44 PM »

Thanks, Andreas, that solved the problem for me!

I am glad to hear it. Smiley

Greetings
Andreas
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 19:44:04 PM »

I'm probably missing something which is going to make this post sound pretty much retarded:
Isn't the ability to make the current user Administrator a security hole?

PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 22:10:28 PM »

For servers maybe, but fo Desktops, I don't think so.
The user that can be granted some administrator rights is the person that installed Pardus on the computer. That seems a pretty logical choice to me. Other users on this computer cannot have administrator rights without asking the administrator.

Besides, on a Desktop, the important thing is not the system uptime, it's the personal data.

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 22:25:32 PM »

Exactly, isn't the personal data at risk if someone makes your system inusable because they have admin. priviledges?

(PhiX - Sorry if I appear argumentative lol)

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 22:34:11 PM »

But you only provide yourself admin privileges I suppose, and all other users in your desktop will not be granted admin privileges if I would have to share my desktop with other users.

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 22:37:48 PM »

Fair point, I get what you mean, thanks Smiley

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 21:56:42 PM »

Hi,

I also found this out, as you see, I come from the land of sudo (ubuntu). 

When I installed I set up two users, one with admin. priveleges and one without, and whenever I log in, I use my "plain" user.  I tried to change the clock settings, and it would ask for root password, and it wouldn't accept it.  I finally figured it out and started a new session, logged into user with admin. priveleges and was able to change the clock settings, and do other functions where user was not allowed. 

My main session is as "plain" user, especially while surfing, listening to music, watching a movie.  My preference. 

Lisa Marie
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: