Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 00:42:37 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  Cannot su to root
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cannot su to root  (Read 1980 times)
razedk

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2008, 21:58:18 PM »

I just installed the new Pardus 2008 but I have a small problem.

I cannot get root access using the su command. It gives me a permission denied ?

The permissions on su is set to this

-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 28216 2008-05-08 19:04 /bin/su

which looks ok to me.

I have a similar problem when trying to enter Administrative Mode in Samba, it wont work, but is probably related.

Any ideas why ?
Andreas
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 22:06:52 PM »

Hello,

look here

Greetings
Andreas

« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 06:04:03 AM by Andreas » Logged
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 21:15:36 PM »

I have something weird now.

Earlier today I was (as always before) able to change to root in the Terminal using su and root password.
I updates some packages from PISI package manager including policykit, kernel, kdebase, kernel-headers.

Now after rebooting I keep getting authentication error also after succesfully re-setting the root password to be even more sure that I type in the correct password.

Code:
michiel@zandbelt ~ $ sudo passwd root
Wachtwoord:
Nieuw UNIX wachtwoord:
Nieuw UNIX wachtwoord herhalen:
passwd: wachtwoord is met succes aangepast
michiel@zandbelt ~ $ su
Wachtwoord:
su: Authenticatiefout
michiel@zandbelt ~ $

This has not to do with the earlier mentioned root-privileges setting (I have that checked for user michiel), it just keeps returning an authentication error (after quite some time) whilst I am 100% sure I give the correct password.

also
Code:
su -
does not work

Any ideas?

sudo works still fine, but I want to be able to su as well, just like I always could.

Code:
sudo su
does give me the root promppt (blue colored ending and # sign)  Huh? Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 23:05:40 PM by Michiel » Logged

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Andreas
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 06:08:25 AM »

Hello,

please have a look in this Thread

Greetings
Andreas
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 10:22:38 AM »

Sorry Andreas to prevent you from giving the above reply I EXPLICITLY stated already that this is really a different problem then the one you had already referred to in the other thread to which you are referring again.

I feel this is a disappointing reaction of yours Andreas. You try to point people to topics elsewhere suggesting they haven't read those topics before, and meanwhile you yourself apparently just refuse to read what others have already said, because WHAT DID I ALREADY TYPE ANDREAS:

This has not to do with the earlier mentioned root-privileges setting (I have that checked for user michiel), it just keeps returning an authentication error (after quite some time) whilst I am 100% sure I give the correct password.

I am a bit offended by your reaction Andreas, sorry for that!

The point remains:

Why can I not "su" anymore in the terminal, whilst sudo su
 does work.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:25:07 AM by Michiel » Logged

Andreas
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 11:00:36 AM »

@Michiel

Your reaction makes annoying me. What do you expect?

Rather contributes a proposal for solution to write than unreasonable things.

A lot of users here don`t search in the Forum and read other Topics.

Greetings
Andreas
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 12:01:31 PM by Andreas » Logged
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 11:03:17 AM »

Sorry Andreas to prevent you from giving the above reply I EXPLICITLY stated already that this is really a different problem then the one you had already referred to in the other thread to which you are referring again.

If it is a different problem, you should write a new topic, because this thread is only about razedk's problem.

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Andreas
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 11:08:38 AM »

@PhiX

Thanks for the support, PhiX. Wink
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 12:06:22 PM »

If it is a different problem, you should write a new topic, because this thread is only about razedk's problem.

1. Sorry Andreas for my angry tone, except my excuse
2. However it's a pity that you both don't seem to acknowledge the point I was making, and I prefer not to open an andless row of unnecessary new topics (I use SMF on my own website and am co-moderator of the dutch Pardus forum).Why should I start a  new topic whilst the title of this topic is exctly what my problem is? Should I start a new topic with the SAME title? I do not agree that every new problem per se needs a new topic, some problems are related to the same issue and in one topic it should not necessarily deal with one problem only. Several problems can fit in one issue/topic. But again that's just personal opinion.

In all, apart from personal preferences and forum etiquette I am still waiting for someone who can hopefully provide a reply that deals with the contents of my question itself.

Andreas
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 12:12:18 PM »

1. Sorry Andreas for my angry tone, except my excuse

Hello Michiel,

I except your excuse. All o.k. now. Wink

Greetings
Andreas
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: