Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 13:10:44 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Wish list
| | |-+  My wishes (Repos and future Pardus Development)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My wishes (Repos and future Pardus Development)  (Read 1706 times)
etainer
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2008, 11:01:11 AM »

First of all i want to give a congratulation to all the developers.

Ive tried about 30 Distros the last 4 Weeks, and i like Pardus most when it comes to KDE centric distros, even better than OpenSuse, because it runs so fast on my 1,8 GHZ 512MB RAM Notebook.

Superb done work!!!

Im from germany and i hope that many of my turkish friends at the university will try pardus with me.

First wish:

- Please add more docks like kxdocker, kibadock or something to the repos and please add always the current KDE4 to it like KDE4.1 Beta 2 is now the current. Will you support KDE4 4.1  (full) with a unique pardus look or something?

Second wish :

I have tried so many distros, and i exactly know what i want but i have always something to complain.

My dream distro would be:

A Pardus with all your projects in python like PiSi and Tamar, combined with a look like Dreamlinux with a dockbar like AWN (Mac OS Style) and the Update Feature like Ubuntu or MintUpdate, and something like MintInstall( 1Click Install , Software-Portal) and the serious definition and the professionall style, polishment and business aproach of OpenSuse.
Fast speed on maschines with 512 MB RAM , fast bootup ..
Put this all in a shaker , put a little (stable) KDE4 or a breeze KDE 3.5 to it, SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE... and TAAADAA
 the distrowatch #1 and dream of any linux beginner is born Smiley  Grin

« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 11:05:01 AM by etainer » Logged
etainer
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 11:07:43 AM »

oh ive posted in to the wrong category, can someone put this into wishes Smiley ? thank you
Eren.Turkay
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 11:26:39 AM »

KDE4 is not ready for end-users yet, so, Pardus team have decided to stick with  KDE 3.5. When Pardus team think that KDE4 is ready for end-users, I'm sure they will do whatever should be done =)

Dock thingy may seem you good but they may seem others bad Smiley It's a design decision and I don't think kooldock etc. will suit to desktop. It would make look&feel worse.

But I completely agree mixing approaches altogether. Business from OpenSUSE, Marketing from Ubuntu, Feature from MintInstall etc Smiley I'm sure, Pardus will be #1 in 2 years. Pardus has a good achievement although it's just a 3-year-old project.
etainer
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 12:04:51 PM »

you are right that docks are design decisions , but you can give users the options to have a mac os style with a dock or a normal pardus kde look for example. You can put this in the installation, MAC OS Style, Pardus Style or Business Look, and the pardus installation sets up your icons , themes , docks etc. like you want in the installation , no post fixing . That woul for sure attract Beginners i think. At least you can put it into Kaplan.

at our university all like mac osx and its style.  60% you ask tell you that there next notebook will be surely from Apple because mac osx and it look and feel. i love it too, but i dont wont to copy it to linux like mac4lin project does, just pick the things that are the mainstream things like the dock and something like that.
Or give the user a option for a "Business design" cause the all over orange and very colorful look of pardus seem to look nice at home for kids but at university or in a company it is not mature enough, not serious.

You know what i mean?  Pardus has done the important things right to become a major distro, they dont follow the way mint does with its bloathed desktop. But they need to change or put in some things to attract users from distros like SuSe, Ubuntu etc.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 12:10:10 PM by etainer » Logged
azra
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 14:46:23 PM »

One thing is for sure: I used kooldock in 2007 and it is not in the 2008 repos.
It would be nice if it were added, I really miss it.
Andreas
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 14:51:22 PM »

One thing is for sure: I used kooldock in 2007 and it is not in the 2008 repos.

Hello azra,

than try to install "kooldock" from the 2007er-Repo, which you find here

If you have problem with installing with the package-manager so look here

Greetings
Andreas
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 14:53:27 PM by Andreas » Logged
azra
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 16:32:20 PM »

Well, I am a bit confused now  Huh?.
As per this thread, I thought we were not supposed to use 2007 packages?
http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=1760.msg8212;topicseen#msg8212
Andreas
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 17:14:36 PM »

Well, I am a bit confused now  Huh?.

Hello azra,

I wrote, that you should try it. When the installation is good and the program runs, what will you more. Wink

Greetings
Andreas
azra
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 19:00:12 PM »

no luck, it did not work... Sad
Andreas
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 19:43:44 PM »

no luck, it did not work... Sad

I looked and see that kooldock is in the Contribut-Repo from Pardus 2008.

Kooldock-pisi-Pardus 2008

Have you not added the Contribut-Repo to the paket-manager?

Look here

Greetings
Andreas
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 19:57:01 PM by Andreas » Logged
azra
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 23:43:47 PM »

Andreas
Very strange.... I added the contribs repos from the Pisi GUI, but I could not find kooldock.
I deleted the repo and updated through console, and now it picks it up and I can install kooldock...
Strange, no? Should I file a bug?
Andreas
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 06:09:20 AM »

Should I file a bug?

Hello Azra,

you must not write a bug, because "kooldock" was added to the Repo on the 30. June.  Wink

Greetings
Andreas
azra
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 11:04:41 AM »

Hum, when I checked yesterday, it was not there until such time as I added the repo through the console...
But ok, no worries.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: