Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 09:19:08 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  The Pub
| | |-+  Browser
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Poll
Question: Which Browser do you use?
Firefox   -7 (43.8%)
Opera   -6 (37.5%)
Konqueror   -3 (18.8%)
Other   -0 (0%)
Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: Browser  (Read 5336 times)
Mourningdove
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 04:35:48 AM »

Back in the dreary old days when all I had was Windows, I used Opera for just about all of my Web activities, and avoided all the others. I tried Firefox and thought it was slow and used a lot of resources.

Today, I mostly use Firefox on Linux. (I'm a Vista refugee. I got a new laptop last fall with Vista preinstalled, and after about two days I knew there had to be a better way.) For my job, I have to fill in Web forms a couple hours a day, and a Firefox add-on called It's All Text! allows you to use your preferred editor (in my case, that is Emacs, but I know it also works with OpenOffice Writer). It makes life easier.

When I learned that the Pardus repos had Opera 9.51, I installed it. Maybe I'll try importing all my bookmarks into it tonight or tomorrow, just to see what it's like. The Windows version of Opera 9 didn't like my job's Web site, so I was stuck in the 8.x "time warp" for a long time.

(I couldn't figure out how to actually vote!)
Andreas
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 06:29:06 AM »

(I couldn't figure out how to actually vote!)

Hello,

the vote was opened for 14 days, therefore you can`t actually vote. Wink

Greetings
Andreas
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 08:09:56 AM »

Any reason why the voting is closed Andreas?
It's still interesting reading people's motivations to use a specific browser.

Alex
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 08:13:37 AM by roverrat » Logged
Andreas
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 10:16:23 AM »

Any reason why the voting is closed Andreas?
It's still interesting reading people's motivations to use a specific browser.

Hello Alex,

I opened the voting new now. Unfortunately are the delivered voices no longer there. Shocked

Greetings
Andreas
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 10:19:05 AM »

ah, thanks Andreas. I've put my vote in again ;-)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 19:14:28 PM »

I'm a big fan of Opera as well and have been since 1997, I think that is when we first started to use it.  We first went on-line in '96 and immediately installed Netscape.  My husband had used IE at work, and said no way that we were going to use it on our home computer.  To this day, I've never used IE.  There was a few years when I found Opera to not be so good, about 3 years ago or so.  That is when I switched to Linux and started using Konqueror, as well as giving FF a try.  I then switched to SeaMonkey, for I always liked the easy html editor, Composer, that was originally in Netscape.  In the past three months I installed the latest 9.51 from their website and was very impressed.  Now I use Opera 9.52 and switch between it and Konqueror. 

I like the feature "copy and go to web address, as many urls are not hot links.  This way I skip a few steps (copy, go up to address bar, click, delete, paste, enter).  I also like 'resume' in their download manager.  The layout looks nice with the steel gray top.  Easy on the eyes.  I also like the once 'quick preferences' and 'delete private data'.  With Seamonkey, it takes three steps or more to clear cache, cookies, and history.  Konqueror was the first to have go>most often visited, a feature I think is now in FF.  Using dial-up I do notice each browser renders pages differently, so for some it may seem slow as to what they are used to seeing displayed in a certain order i.e. graphics first, then text, adverts first, then graphics, then text., etc.  I guess there are ways to manipulate these functions in all browsers.   There's a browser out there for all our needs.  Still, it would be intersting to see someone work on a new browser that didn't rely on gecko engine as all of the mozilla variants do.  I'm not a fan of plug-ins.

Lisa Marie

edited to add I stand correct.  Opera only has retransfer, which starts download from beginning if download is  interrupted.  Opera used to have resume. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 19:15:49 PM by Lisa » Logged
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 16:24:10 PM »

I think Firefox can be very stable and I like its open community (add ons etc), but its logo etc are proprietary, its not fully open source, however, I can see no suitable alternative thus far.

I think Google Chrome should, once its ported to Linux, (then to Pardus through .pisi), be the default browser (if its faster than Firefox.

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 17:26:53 PM »

Well, I'm giving Konqueror another go and wow, it is faster at rendering pages in a more common sense manner than Opera.  Firefox is the fastest of all three that I have tried with Pardus Linux, but Konqueror is almost as fast as FF.  Obviously, the Konqueror team has been improving the browser.  Browser speed is very noticeable with dial-up connection, so I am very pleased! 

Lisa Marie
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: