Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 23:35:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  Pardus 2008 on Asus eee pc
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pardus 2008 on Asus eee pc  (Read 2180 times)
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« on: June 07, 2008, 23:48:32 PM »

I was just playing with a tought, bit fustrated with the default
Xandros system on my 4Gb Asus eee.
As I have heard, Pardus 2008 can also run on the Asus eee, but it
might be a bit too chuncky to fit in the 4 gb of default memoryspace.
Besides this you need a USB-externel CD writer, solemnly for this job.
Looking around I found out that there is a eeexUbuntu release. It is
Xfce driven (as is possible in Pardus), so it is fast to use. It is
also a premade image which can be transfered to the eee smootly using
a USB stick or SC card.
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu:eeexubuntu:home

Who would like to join / help, to make a xPardus version for use on
microLaptops? Of course I know it will take Pardusman to start with,
but I am not that experienced that I could do it myself (otherwise I
already did)!

For freedom...
ilanesh
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 11:58:27 AM »

Hello Willem,
it would be better not to use xubuntu, there are things not working good, also xfce is very buggy, I don`t like it.
I don`t no why you are frustraited with the xandros? I love it, everything works out of the box and so fast nothing else is so fast, it is easy to use, I use it for voip, email and everything. Its the best for the asus eee.
But for emergency when something is happen then use Mandiva 2008.1, this runs out of the box with asus eee, I tried the live cd on it, it was  great, also you can make your usb on another laptop or pc and then  go on asus eee and boot it from the usb flash drive, also you can use the external usb HDD, bot work perfect.
Good luck, am happy to have the asus, sometimes am using on the this one most time, for skype and everything, another thing, the webcam and video mail recordings works perfect on xandros but not from other distros on the asus, it is especially build for the asus eee.
 Smiley
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 12:06:20 PM »

Willem, I like your idea of creating a miniPardus version for purposes you mentioned.

Perhaps you may find some inspiration in the PCLinuxOS project (http://www.pclinuxos.nl/) they also come with personal flavours including a  so-called mini-me version.

As far as I can understand it's just the same basic system as the full PCLinuxOS (so in our case the full PardusOS) only it comes standard with far less pre-installed software packages to keep the total memory that is required a bit lower.

When you make a list of packages that could be left out on first installation when evaluating your personal demands (*), perhaps you can "scrap" some packages from the standard installation .iso to make it smaller in size.

Should be possible!

(*) I guess this is a lot safer than the other way around (choosing what you need-because most of us do not know which packages are absolutely requirfed to run a basic Pardus OS).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 12:08:44 PM by Michiel » Logged

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 13:33:40 PM »

Perhaps this doc about opensuse 10.3 on the asus eee might also include some useful things to know...

http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_on_the_EeePC

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: