Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 10:33:17 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  Why does Pardus constantly stall and freezes?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why does Pardus constantly stall and freezes?  (Read 3377 times)
Pashlit

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2008, 21:38:19 PM »

This question sounds a bit silly but.....Why does Pardus stall? Quite often firefox just freezes and it it had to be terminated.
Sometimes the whole system just freezes and I have to reboot. I have Parus installed on laptop and desktop. On desktop it works a bit better though, but still. Laptop freezes constantly. Is there anything that can be done? I do not perform any big operations. Just browsing the net or typing or other small stuff.  Huh?  Huh?  Huh?
Andreas
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 21:56:10 PM »

Why does Pardus stall? Quite often firefox just freezes and it it had to be terminated.

Hello,

that is your meaning and I think, that is not a general problem.

The problem by you can be for example your Hardware.

Greetings
Andreas
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 22:06:14 PM by Andreas » Logged
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 22:03:36 PM »

Firefox freezes frequently on flash web pages, especially when several tabs are opened, due to the buggy Macromedia flash plugin for Linux.

Other than that Macromedia problem, I personaly never had a sytem freeze on Pardus.
Please t try to determine when the freezes occurs in order to expose a more specific issue.
If you have found a systematic way to freeze your Pardus system, congratulation !  you have found a bug Smiley
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 22:08:48 PM by PhiX » Logged

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Pashlit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 18:32:20 PM »

Firefox freezes frequently on flash web pages, especially when several tabs are opened, due to the buggy Macromedia flash plugin for Linux.

Other than that Macromedia problem, I personaly never had a sytem freeze on Pardus.
Please t try to determine when the freezes occurs in order to expose a more specific issue.
If you have found a systematic way to freeze your Pardus system, congratulation !  you have found a bug Smiley
LOL. Well, yeah the bug exists but I have no idea how to catch it )). The hardware seems to be recognized fine. Some clues that Skype also has a bug. It takes long time to log in, then it.....freezes and system stalls. If I find some more thoughs I ll post here.
Thanks guys!
tuxedup
Pardus Developer
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 12:48:04 PM »

The laptop freeze may be associated with a problem with the touch pad.  On my laptop there appears to be a kernel / xorg bug that causes the touch pad to lose sync and causes the system to freeze for long periods.  I found in this case that using an external mouse was a work around.  I have posted my bug  to bugzilla but no replies as yet.

Mixhael.

LinuxFanatic
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 12:55:57 PM »

Hi Pashlit,

did you check MD5 checksum of your ISO image and CD after burning? I can't belive them, that Pardus generally freezes.

Perhaps your mainmemory RAM is corrupt?

Greetings,
LinuxFanatic

German Pardus Linux Communtiy --> www.PardusUser.de
Pashlit

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 23:13:21 PM »

Hi Pashlit,

did you check MD5 checksum of your ISO image and CD after burning? I can't belive them, that Pardus generally freezes.

Perhaps your mainmemory RAM is corrupt?

Greetings,
LinuxFanatic

Hello,
The CD seems to be fine. Yes, it freezes so many times that I stopped using it on my laptop for now. The desktop runs a bit better.
Not sure with the RAM. Vista works flawlessly on laptop. Not a single freeze )))
I am a big supporter of Linux then. Used to have Ubuntu on laptop. It worked fine. Now switched to KDE and it freezes  Huh?  Huh?
surnorthghost

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 02:48:30 AM »

My copy of pardus was freezing same way, apparently in my case it seemed to be in reaction to a internet bridge. Mind you my desktop with pardus is showing a bit of age, which surely did not help.

My solution was getting a more reliable wireless connection(freezing) and downloading XFce desktop(computer old age), which works faster.
Only problem  I cannot update the system properly in XFce which is a minor problem so I log into KDE to update system   Smiley
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 13:18:14 PM »

Hello,
The CD seems to be fine. Yes, it freezes so many times that I stopped using it on my laptop for now. The desktop runs a bit better.
Not sure with the RAM. Vista works flawlessly on laptop. Not a single freeze )))
I am a big supporter of Linux then. Used to have Ubuntu on laptop. It worked fine. Now switched to KDE and it freezes  Huh?  Huh?

Back in my dual-booting Win98 years, I experienced a similar phenomenon and I noticed that Linux detected more thoroughly bad RAM than Windows. So it is possible that Vista is less sensitive to bad RAM than Linux.

You can test that hypothesis with a Knoppix liveCD (or another, but not a Pardus LiveCD). If your live sessions are spoiled by freezes, that means you have a bad RAM.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 13:19:51 PM by PhiX » Logged

azra
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 14:05:24 PM »

Firefox was also crashing a lot when I opened it, my home page is made of 9 different tabs. My solution was to install the Flashblock extension for Firefox and now all works fine! I just click when I need an animation.
azra
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 08:57:34 AM »

Waf

You open all the tabs you want your home page to be made of normally. Then you go to Preferences, and under the Main tab, you click on "Use current page". That should do the trick!

Otherwise, check
http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/10/15/how-to-open-multiple-sites-in-separate-tabs-each-time-you-start-firefox/

However, I had a number of pages which loaded some flash elements, and this was too much for FF. Flashblock + Adblock Plus was the easy solution to make sure that only HTML is opened, not some stupid adds and scripts.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 08:59:09 AM by azra » Logged
azra
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 12:47:01 PM »

Waf, no worries, the pleasure is all mine!

NoScript and DownThemAll are also a must addons!

I don't know these extensions... I am going to have a look now!  Smiley

Thanks
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 16:16:37 PM »

I had the exact same problem when web browsing. In my case, it was caused by the add-ons I had installed (which were several security related add-ons such as Cookie-Master etc), JavaScript and Flash, mostly the former, can really take down any Linux distro, in my case, I had to wait around 2 to 3 minutes until Firefox loaded my homepage, in the meantime if I clicked on anything, it froze. I used Ubuntu for the past year before switching to Pardus, Meebo almost always crashed the second the page loaded, this is a common problem, Sun Microsystems and Adobe specialize in providing for the Windows platform.

I reccomend installed "NoScript!" (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722) and more importantly:
Click on the Pardus Icon >
Tasma >
Peripherals >
Keyboard Shortcuts >
Under Global Shortcuts Scroll Down To "Miscellaneous" >
Create a Shortcut >
Apply.
^ Pressing the shortcut now a black skull with two cross bones will appear, clicking on the malfunctioning application with end it in a instant (its like Task Manager in Vista but far more powerful), this will prevent your entire system from crushing.

Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 19:11:55 PM »

Thanks Smiley

Pressed Control-Alt-Esc, nothing happened... Usually when someone reccomends a shortcut on the internet an application closes or such etc. What does it mean? lol

PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 04:06:32 AM »

Ctrl-Alt-Esc triggers xkill (the skull and bones killing mouse pointer). If it doesn't work for you, that means that a package is missing (I don't know which one).

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: